Why become a member? ×

Pete Wentz Squier P

Icarus_147

I'm sure if it is setup nicely with some great strings and the volume pot is upgraded it would sound a crap tone better, but I feel sorry for any kid buying this to start their bass career, there are better basses for similar money out there that will keep them spanking all day long for years to come.

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1332897591' post='1594678']
Look, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm just here to try and get some information on a bass I'm interested in, not indulge in any sort of musical elitism.
[/quote]

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, I say if you like the bass then go for it, and you'd be right to ignore the slight tinge of elitism dotted throughout this thread.

I would hasten to add though that if you like the sound of the YT demos then any P-Bass with roundwound strings on it is going to sound that bright and punchy. But if it's the look of the bass you're after, there's probably nothing better!

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1332928325' post='1594893']
Sounds like you've already made up your mind
[/quote]

Well, I suppose I have. I was mostly just checking to see if there were any kind of widespread horror stories or outpourings of praise for Squier signatures. If nothing else it's confirmed what I believed beforehand, same as every other Squier branch, some are good, some are bad.

Update! So it wasn't as good as I hoped. Frets were a bit sharp, but that could be dealt with. Sound was a bit dubious around the higher notes too. And it was far, far too light. Like, could have picked it up with one finger light. It was actually a weird sensation picking it up for the first time.

That said, the sound wasn't awful, it did have a lot of bottom end, and now that I've seen it in the flesh I think it's even prettier. I'll just have to ask Fender Custom Shop nicely to make me one that isn't built out of polystyrene when I'm rich. I (sadly) won't be investing in this though. ):

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1333167612' post='1598325']
Update! So it wasn't as good as I hoped. Frets were a bit sharp, but that could be dealt with. Sound was a bit dubious around the higher notes too. And it was far, far too light. Like, could have picked it up with one finger light. It was actually a weird sensation picking it up for the first time.

That said, the sound wasn't awful, it did have a lot of bottom end, and now that I've seen it in the flesh I think it's even prettier. I'll just have to ask Fender Custom Shop nicely to make me one that isn't built out of polystyrene when I'm rich. I (sadly) won't be investing in this though. ):
[/quote]

Just because it's light??

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1333167612' post='1598325']

[/quote]

Just as an intermediary step between Squier and Fender Custom Shop, maybe see if you can have a play on a MIM Fender Blacktop Jazz. It's certainly different for different's sake as it has a jazz neck, body and control layout, but two precision pickups, the benefits of which being a fairly standard 'grown-up' Precision tone at the neck, mixable with a quite balls-out, edgy tone at the bridge; it's good for metal ;) You could fairly easily get a red (or maybe chrome/mirrored would look better in this case?) guard made for it if you preferred it, but I very much doubt you'd want to change the pickups, the rest of the hardware is perfectly solid, the fretwork is good and it's the right weight! I've only had mine a week and although I admit that I bought it completely on a whim and never expected to like it in the first place, am already very impressed with it. Yeah, it's substantially more expensive than the PW you were looking at, but sometimes you just have to put that bit more in to get out what you want.

Oh, and if you [i]really[/i] want a Duncan Designed P pickup to ransack the capabilities of a different purchase, drop me a PM and you can have the one that came out of my Squier VM P... just promise me that when you take it back out a couple of days later you'll sport the couple of quid to launch it over the side of the Shields ferry.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1333175075' post='1598338']
Just because it's light??
[/quote]

Oh, no, I didn't really make it clear. The sound higher up the neck actually wasn't all that pleasant. I'm willing to guess it wasn't just the amp, because I was running through a GK. For the majority of my band stuff, that wouldn't matter, otherwise I'd still probably be considering it were it not for anything else, but I'd certainly want to shop around first. The weight is ridiculous though. I'm not very good at estimating weights, but, I can safely say it's the lightest bass I've ever picked up. I'm pathetic, and it still felt like there was just nothing there. I'm not saying I'd rather have an anchor slung over shoulder, but I like to fell like I've got something substantial in my hands (that's what she said). If I got the chance to try it out [i]properly[/i] (i.e. with the band) I might realise that the weight isn't really that much of a problem, but given my experience with it so far it just doesn't feel right.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1333178797' post='1598361']
Just as an intermediary step between Squier and Fender Custom Shop, maybe see if you can have a play on a MIM Fender Blacktop Jazz.
[/quote]

They had one of those in the store actually, it did look quite nice. I'm off on Monday, so I might head back and try out some other stuff. That said I have just bought a bass that I'm gonna be modding so I might just sink all of what I would have spent on something else into that and make it as good as I can. I am awful at decisions. ._.

Edited by Icarus_147

• 9 months later...

Just bought one of these for my daughter who's starting out. We toured the local Cash Converters here in Shepherds Bush in London (particular good for music bargains i picked up a Tokai Jazz sound (Korean) for £99.00 recently) and the Pete Wentz was up for £89.00 so we gave it a look. She loved the colours ( Man Utd fan but to be fair spends her part-time job money on train fares to Manchester to games can't argue with that dedication) and the fact that it weighs as much as a packet of Rizlas was in its favour. Whacked on some new Harley Benton strings (£3:99 from thomann bass bargains of the year) it sounded not to shabby.....the neck was ideal for her small hands.