Why become a member? ×

Crap Sound On Stage

Pete Academy

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1332794082' post='1593303']

Ever wondered how Muse fell apart at that gig...you can't say they didn't know their parts well enough.
If you can't hear another instrument...and you rely on him being in the right place all the time ..which granted he should be, but stuff happens and a queue might be missed.
If you can't hear him..then you have no idea where he is musically... so couldn't correct a mistake if you wanted to.. you probably wouldn't be too aware of it.. if you can't hear.

That is why the Muse train wreck went on for as long as it did..

So, if you can't hear your bass but know where you are in the track that is one thing..but that will not help anyone else, should they forget a cue.
And if they can't hear you either, they will not know if you have caught the error or are oblivious..???

Hearing and good monitoring is everything, IMO. and once you have got to that stage..you might as well insist that the stage sound is good and representative.
Anything else is just way too slack in standards. Why should you expect the sound to be great out front if he can't get the monitor sound any good.
there may be excuses and circumstance, but assuming isn't a good place to start, IMO.
[/quote]

With the stuff we play its not necessary tbh. Its just basic stoner/blues rock originals. Ques are all based on timing. The two guitarists rely on myself and the drummer to dictate the basis of each tune and once the drummer can hear me we are fine. If the guitarists decide to improvise a few extra bars they'll give the nod as to when they'll be coming back in. Its the same for all of us. Interband communication on stage is just as effective IME.

Regarding sound engineers I've very rarely met a bad one. There's so few venues over here that you get to know most of the good engineers. They've a job to do and being an asshole gets you nowhere. I keep a record of our settings for each venue we've played in. The amps are dialed in before we load the motor so we just have to set up when we get to the venue and let the engineer just ring in the rig. Those guys really appreciate everything you can do to make their nights work less taxing and we are regularly praised by engineers for being so easy to deal with. A few kind words for him or her before the encore and a thank you pint or coffee after your set gets you a long way. Look after the engineer and they'll look after you.

Edited by Mog

My Gramma pad is on it's way as I'm getting fed up with some boomy stages at 2 venues, and so is the drummer who I share the stage with.

Our guitarist always goes through the monitors as his amp sound will not fill up the stage, mostly because it is very directional and to one side. I can only hear it if i'm right infront of it, which is rare.

I much prefer a good on stage sound so you can get into the music, and we can usually achieve that. The FOH sound is always good as well.

Boosting the low mids has also sorted me out.

We play a couple of gigs in Marquee's and the sound is great because there's no reflection of the sound. I find this is usually half the problem.
In true Viz style, why don't you get yourself a cheap 2-man tent from Halfords and stand inside that with your amp, during those gigs where your bass tone is too boomy. Don't be afraid to ask, I'm full of great ideas. :gas: