Why become a member? ×

(Dean) wiring help please

rubis

I have a MM style pickup and wiring harness from a 5 string Dean, Sledgehammer I think, which I want to put (for the time being at least) in my current project, to be found here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165479-gl-body-project/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/165479-gl-body-project/[/url]

Now, as electrickery is not a particular strong point of mine I thought it would be better to ask for help before warming up the soldering iron as I cannot find any schematics for Dean basses anywhere. I even joined the Dean forum and couldn't find anything.

Anyone own a sledghammer, who could take a peek in their cavity for me ?

As usual the harness (an e-bay bargain?) was snipped free and there are a few loose ends to tidy up.

If you can see them well enough on the photo they are as follows
[attachment=103051:Picture 541.jpg]
1) from the volume pot there is a white wire which leaves the middle tab, am I right in thinking this is a hot output and goes to the tip of the barrel jack (is that the smaller tab of the three on a Neurik jack?)
2) on the volume pot there is a tab which has had a wire attached but this has been snipped and not left any coloured sleeve behind as a clue, what could that have been?
3)from the pickup there are red and white wires (twisted and taped off.. fair enough leave alone!) a green wire:- where to?....a balck wire:- where to? and a bare wire with loose black sleeving over it:- earth?
4) from the pre amp loom there are purple/grey/white which go tho the bass pot... fine
yellow/green/blue which go to the treble pot... also fine
but there is a loose orange wire which is bound to a black wire which is soldered to the bottom of the bass pot. This orange wire turns green at the end, am I right in thinkng this is another earth and would be connected to an eath screw on the body?
Then there is a red wire (which stays red!) and a brown wire which goes red at the end, these are bound together.........what do these connect to ? I imagine one of them must go to the the battery red wire, but which one?
5) does the black on the battery connecter go to the longer tab on the barrel jack ? what about the mediium length tab on the barrel jack, another earth ? does that go to the bottom of the pots which look like they were all daisy chained together with black wire?

much obliged for any help or advice

1) the white wire goes to the small tab on the input jack
2) i'm not sure about this, although there is a wire which doesn't go anywhere. It's coming from the actual pot, not a tab, is that familiar?
3) i'm not sure about this either, as the pickup wire i have is black.
4) the loose orange wire goes to the bass pot, it's not directly screwed to the body, not sure if it's earth.
5) the black wire to the longer tab on the input jack is actually from the volume pot, not the battery.

most of the wires go to the preamp, but unfortunately a load of the ones you are listing aren't the same on mine, which may be because some of the wires on my bass are hidden under the wood, or it might just be put together differently...although if you have any other questions, please let me know!

thanks dudewheresmybass89, does your loom look like this ?
Is this normal, the wires go in one piece of the plastic connector box and come out the other side completely reversed!

[attachment=103900:Picture 543.jpg]

The nearest I could find to a schematic is this, if you click on the blue link in the middle of the screenshot it changes to a schematic.
Is this the same as your wiring? Its meant to be the same circuit as used by Dean.
[url="http://tuneguitars.com/wscmusic/wizmart.php?query=view&code=00130101&no=147&lv=3&c_type=2&sub_view_1=1#"]http://tuneguitars.com/wscmusic/wizmart.php?query=view&code=00130101&no=147&lv=3&c_type=2&sub_view_1=1#[/url]

I've wired it pretty much as this shows, took the black and the bare from the pickup to the barrel of the jack, the white from the volume to the tip of the jack and the black from the volume to earth

when I tried it there was no sound at all, no idea where I've gone wrong, have you?

cheers for replying