Why become a member? ×

Bracketed notes

I don't know the book...but you often get bracketed notes meaning ghost notes. Bass specific publications will
often write ghost notes with cross heads instead of dots,but a lot of charts you may find on gigs will often write
the note in brackets.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1331931683' post='1581243']
I always thought the bracketed notes were grace notes where you slide into the main note?
[/quote]
A grace note is usually written as a smaller note leading into the main note,like this....

a ghost note like this:
d___(d) [with the underscores as a tie) could just be notating the tie properly.
(d) can imply a note that isn't plucked, but tapped with the fretting hand.
It could also be a harmonic. Or maybe even just played very quietly. I'm surprised it doesn't say at the front of the book. I can't get on youtube to hear the record and I unfortunately no longer have the CD. Otherwise I'd have had a listen and tried to hear what JPJ's doing. I guess you'll have to do that ;) Instead, I'll play Lemon Song. :D

[quote name='jakebeamish' timestamp='1331937851' post='1581333']
a ghost note like this:
d___(d) [with the underscores as a tie) could just be notating the tie properly.
(d) can imply a note that isn't plucked, but tapped with the fretting hand.
It could also be a harmonic.
[/quote]
I've never seen a tied note be bracketed-on all the charts I've ever been given,you'll just see the two
notes and a tie marking.

In most bass/guitar specific transcription books,tapped notes are usually written with a cross above the note
head,while a harmonic i notated by a diamond shaped note rather than the usual oval shape.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1331938665' post='1581341']
I've never seen a tied note be bracketed-on all the charts I've ever been given,you'll just see the two
notes and a tie marking.

In most bass/guitar specific transcription books,tapped notes are usually written with a cross above the note
head,while a harmonic i notated by a diamond shaped note rather than the usual oval shape.
[/quote]
I did some work for a school musical as an ex-student not too long ago and the music teacher handed me a wad of handwritten scores, with all of the nonsensical crap I described, stupid I know. I guess you have to take any transcription with a pinch of salt and play what sounds right.