Why become a member? ×

Wood sources

untune

Hi all

Since I enjoyed my bass project so much last year I've got an itch to do it again. I've got a 1951 style Precision single coil that I bought from BC that was going to go in another bass to fix a string spacing issue but I ended up going a different route with it. According to BassDoc the pickup I bought was a rewound Japanese one by the late Jim Cairnes and I've had it sat in a box since I felt using it on the other would be a bit of a waste and I'd rather it went into something a bit more special.

I envisioned making something of a Dusty Hill style tribute - the most basic bass I could think of. 1951 style slab body, rear routed control cavity, a volume and a tone.

What's more, I'd prefer to go a step further this time round and make the body from scratch, including the finishing. Already got the required templates etc, but I don't have the cash right now to sink into another build like I had last year. I'm curious about using wood from a more unusual (and ideally, cheaper) source rather than just buying a blank - recycling, if you will. I've always liked those stories where someone builds a body from the bar from a closed down pub, or an old fireplace or something like that. So I'm curious - any suggestions for sources of wood along those lines? There's a local junk shop that does house removals that I might check out, see if there's any old furniture etc...

I make a lot of furniture from reclaimed sources. Today, I've been turning old teak school science benches into a table and chairs.
The teak was from a reclaimation yard in Nottingham.

Second-hand furniture auctions are good too - bigger items like wardrobes can be picked for literally a few quid (I think it's because they're out of fashion and also people can't transport them home easily) You can also enjoy raising a few eyebrows when breaking it apart in the car park! Make sure you can tell a solid wood item from a veneered one though.

Look out on E Bay too, where you can pick up a solid wood table for next to nothing

Hi mate,

That's a great idea, hadn't thought of that. I wonder what teak is like as a tonewood? :P

I'll have to check some of these sources out, I've kept an eye on gumtree etc but not seen anything worthy. Not got any major woodworking tools either so hopefully I can find something at an ideal thickness, if I can find a solid tabletop or something!

Teak can be a beautiful wood (especially reclaimed Brazilian and Burmese stuff), but can be really heavy.It has natural oils and can be quite 'greasy' to touch, and consequently great in damp environments (hence so much teak garden furniure)

I have no idea about the tone different woods would produce, but at least you know the body would withstand a spilt pint or sweaty player :)

If you live near a timber merchant, they often have offcut bins that you can browse through.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1331713704' post='1577421']
Teak can be a beautiful wood (especially reclaimed Brazilian and Burmese stuff), but can be really heavy.It has natural oils and can be quite 'greasy' to touch, and consequently great in damp environments (hence so much teak garden furniure)

I have no idea about the tone different woods would produce, but at least you know the body would withstand a spilt pint or sweaty player :)

If you live near a timber merchant, they often have offcut bins that you can browse through.
[/quote]

I remember the old science workbenches at school and they were solid as rock haha, so I can imagine it wouldn't be too friendly on the back. I was originally hoping to find a mahogany table or something, ash would be nice - even good solid pine (if it's good enough for Squier CV's!) as long as it wasn't full of knots. I can get a 2 piece sapele blank for about 40 quid so anything more than that would be a waste of time, since the work would already be done. Be much more satisfying to make something from something else though!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1331725389' post='1577687']
My pub's about to throw away a couple of old solid oak bar stools which I'm hoping to be able to convert into guitars. Lovely well worn patinated wood, I'll not be finishing them at all, just be screwing the hardware straight on!

Truckstop
[/quote]

That's the kindof thing I mean... it'd just feel great to have something that had some character. The front and back doors from my house were replaced last year and the old back door was a solid chunk of wood (no idea what it was) that had been on probably since the house was built in the 1920s. It got left outside for months in the rain though so can't imagine it would have been much use... Would have been great to practice with though!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1331725389' post='1577687']
My pub's about to throw away a couple of old solid oak bar stools which I'm hoping to be able to convert into guitars. Lovely well worn patinated wood, I'll not be finishing them at all, just be screwing the hardware straight on!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Just as well you don't want to finish it too much. Oak will kill your tools. :D

I think so, it's the old skool wide oval shape with a great big arse print in the middle!

Any changes to the shape or thickness will result in getting rid of the wonderful patina so I'm going to avoid having to do that.

Should hopefully have the replacement stools next week, so will be starting soon!

Truckstop

I was originally going to go for a transparent finish but that's now changed to a solid colour, so a laminated body would work... nobody I know has a thicknesser/planer, is there anywhere you can take wood to be planed to size on the cheap?

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1332172493' post='1584250']
I've got a load of dry 2" ash, I've got enough to spare you a one piece body size. It's rough sawn so will need thicknessing etc. It's yours if you want it, plus I'll be driving up around Manchester M60 / M62 Thursday
[/quote]

That would be absolutely perfect!!! Will drop you a PM