Why become a member? ×

Strings for folk

oggiesnr

As of tomorrow I will be be (hopefully) proud possessor of an Antoni 3/4, purchased from a fellow BCer.

I currently play acoustic bass but need more unamplified oomph, hence the upright. The "band" I'm playing for has an ever changing line up but at it's best can consist of an accordion, two melodeons, a concertina, couple of whistles, couple of hand drums and a guitar, hence the need for oomph and as we play out doors amplification is not possible.

So, I'm arranging to get the bass checked over/set up but I do know that new strings are on the agenda.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks

Steve

If your new DB already has a decent set of strings, I would start using those before changing, to assess your 'unamplified' volume needs. Low tension nylon type strings will generally be quieter than higher tension or steel type strings. Obviously, higher tension strings will require more effort. The volume will also vary significantly depending on technique and how much you 'dig in'. When I first started playing DB, the volume was generally poor, mainly due to lack of technique and stamina. Over the years that has improved and the volume improved as a result.

Good luck.

Edited by zero9

Thanks for the replies. At the moment the D and G strings sound well but the A and especialliy the E are a dull thud. I'll see what the set up guy reckons, it may be that a decent set up will help the sound.

I take Zero9's point about technique, we'll see what happens.

Steve

If that's Nick's (2wheeler) old bass I doubt there's too much wrong with the setup, unless the bridge has moved in transit - it should be lined up with the notches in the f-holes.

Could be that it would benefit from lower tension strings - my bass is pretty thumpy on the E but it was worse when I had evah mediums on it, they really strangled it.

Bear in mind also that different string types have very different sustain qualities - quite deliberately. Do you know what it's currently strung with?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1331743209' post='1578151']
If that's Nick's (2wheeler) old bass I doubt there's too much wrong with the setup, unless the bridge has moved in transit - it should be lined up with the notches in the f-holes.

Could be that it would benefit from lower tension strings - my bass is pretty thumpy on the E but it was worse when I had evah mediums on it, they really strangled it.

Bear in mind also that different string types have very different sustain qualities - quite deliberately. Do you know what it's currently strung with?
[/quote]

It is Nick's old one, there's not much wrong that I can see but he did suggest that I have it done, the finger board would probably benefit from a fettle. We don't know what the strings are (I think they were on when he got it).

Steve