Why become a member? ×

Takamine problem

Phil Starr

Not strictly bass related but you are a knowledgeable lot and I am a regular BCer and not on any guitar forums.

My old Takamine has a broken pre amp and i don't think they keep any this size any more. Fishman make one similar in size and I am wondering whether they will work as good as the originals with the Takamine pup's ??

I have a takamine acoustic with pre-amp, mine has served me well. I'm pretty sure the Fishman units are the industry standard that others aspire to and piezo under-saddle pickups will have same output config, therefore I'd be confident in swapping out a takamine for a fishman unit

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1331392596' post='1572305']
I have a takamine acoustic with pre-amp, mine has served me well. I'm pretty sure the Fishman units are the industry standard that others aspire to and piezo under-saddle pickups will have same output config, therefore I'd be confident in swapping out a takamine for a fishman unit
[/quote]

+1

Fishman actually make a range of OEM products for brand name instrument manufacturers - so that Takamine preamp might be a Fishman anyway.

before you rush out and by a new pre-amp have a look at the plugs and sockets that are connecting up the current preamp, you might have to fit new plugs to get it all hooked up, another option would be to swap out the transducer at the same time, that way it will all work beautifully from the outset. if you are buying from a bricks and mortar store take the old preamp in with you to compare, if it's online try and get some pictures and info about the connections.

let us know how you get on
matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1331494421' post='1573770']
before you rush out and by a new pre-amp have a look at the plugs and sockets that are connecting up the current preamp, you might have to fit new plugs to get it all hooked up, another option would be to swap out the transducer at the same time, that way it will all work beautifully from the outset. if you are buying from a bricks and mortar store take the old preamp in with you to compare, if it's online try and get some pictures and info about the connections.
[/quote]

That's something I hadn't actually considered.
The Takamine's that I've looked at in the past have all used small MOLEX connectors - not the sort of thing you can retrofit without some expensive tools.

thanks again, the connections are standard jacks, a mono 2.5 and a stereo 3.5. the problem seems to be with the 2,5 socket which is the input for the pups. It all works perfectly with an outboard Tanglewood pre that I have borrowed so I'm optimistic I can fix it even if I have to bodge in a lead and a line socket. I'm just about to remove the pre and have a proper look. Wish me luck