Why become a member? ×

what should i get?

gti1396

hey all, i'm hoping to change my squier for something a bit better as my skills are progressing and i would like a bass to reflect this, but i don't know what to get and the basses i've seen i don't know if they're good or not, i should also point out that i don't have a lot of money which is why i'm having to sell my squier, anyway please tell me any info on these (good/bad? etc...)

the squier vintage modified bass? these look ok but only one pick up scares me, there's one in the for sale section, i love the finish! and its afordable enough for me aswell =)

epiphone EB-3?

ibenez's? there's one in the for sale section thats looks nice, any good?

sorry if i seem thick but if you don't ask you don't know.

or should i get a new amp? to be honest i like the look of the bass, yet hate me amp, or get new pick ups? any suggestions, throw them here!

cheers :)

Edited by gti1396

Nothing to laugh about with those... I had a pupil with one in Electroin Blue. It played great!

The next question is what type of music do you play?

Eg., the Vintage Modified TB is more suited to 60's stuff with it's pickup right up to the bottom of the fingerboard. Same story with the Epiphone EB series. Lovely sounding basses, but no good for more modern music, especially slap playing.

The best all rounders in that price range are the Squier VM 70's jazz & VMJ Precision. If you can stretch to an EB3, how about a Yamaha BB614 with 3-band active eq? Possily the best value in that bracket!

Used, you're in the ballpark of almost new Fender Mexican Jazzes & Ibanez BTB/SRX series basses.

It's all down to what you really like... Go out and try some at your local music store :)

[quote name='gti1396' post='173430' date='Apr 9 2008, 08:38 PM']i'm hoping to change my squier for something a bit better as my skills are progressing and i would like a bass to reflect this, but i don't know what to get and the basses i've seen i don't know if they're good or not, i should also point out that i don't have a lot of money which is why i'm having to sell my squier,[/quote]

My advice would be: Keep your Squier.

If you like your Squier (you appear to) and you don't know if other basses are good or not, then why switch? You said you don't have a lot of money, and you'll probably make a net loss trading your current bass for a different one, and potentially end up with one that you don't like as much as the one you just sold. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me!

Hang on to it for the time being, and go out and play every other bass that catches your eye and is affordable. Also play a few you can't afford, just to see if there's anything magically special about them that you think justifies their value. If nothing else it will give you some perspective on the cheaper instruments you're considering. When you find something that you definitely feel is a worthwhile step up from your Squier, that's the time to sell it.

If you havn't got to the level where you can pick obvious problems with an instrument you're playing, I'd keep it. When I say problems I don't just mean things like uneven frets, crappy controls and sound, I mean other more personal things, like not liking how they hang, the neck profile, how they generally [i]feel[/i].

If you've not got any problems, keep it and save towards a new rig.

For not a lot of money you could upgrade the electrics on what you have (if you feel up to it!)

Skills progressing and need a new bass to reflect it....? how so?

Play the ass off that one (as you like it) and if its not performing somewhere sound/output/tone, just improve those parts.... (Herbie Flowers one of thh most respected session bassist in the UK has had one jazz bass his entire career all 30 odd years of it!)

You say you hate your amp... what is it? if you play plugged in a lot you will be gobsmacked what a 1/2 decent amp can do....

Way too many folk on here get hung up about what bass they should be playing yet the rest of thier gear is way behind and is also WAY down the list of priorites to upgrade....

I'd put money on you being able to slowly upgrade the electrics on teh bass and getting a better amp and leads will give you exaclty what you want......

Until some point down the line you will know EXACTLY what you want, bass and backline wise....

If you need any help or advise drop down to the Repairs and tech forum.. we are freindly in there!

:)

thanks a lot for the comments/Advice, i'm gonna keep it, but just possibly change the amp, its in the for sale section so if it sells i'll get a new amp, if not i'll keep it! and just get new one at a later date.

again thanks for the advice. :)