Why become a member? ×

Hard case for a big bass

timo

I'm off on tour tomorrow and so earlier today I tried to get a hard case for my Paulman 5 string but it turns out it won't fit in any of the three Gator or Hiscox cases available in my local shop. I also tried a Black Rat basic at PMT a while ago which didn't fit but the guy thought their other model (which was out of stock) might do the job but I haven't been able to get there to test one out.

The neck of the bass is quite wide and doesn't fit in some neck pockets and the body is much deeper than the average bass which means either the lid won't shut or the neck is raised from the cushion and is vulnerable in the cases the neck does fit in. The body is also quite large and doesn't fit in another no brand case I have.

All in all it's very awkward and I could really do with a hard case ASAP as my precious bass is going in the back of a van for a month! Anyone got any suggestions for an off the shelf one that might fit? Just found the SKB Bass Safe but can only see that on Gear4Music and DV247 with longish delivery times which suggests it's not in stock so no chance to try out.

Cheers
Tim

The larger hiscox might fit - I have my Gibson ripper in one and its massive but thin. If you can get over to Manchester you can have it for £30 as I hsve a full flight case for the Ripper. I cant remember the catalogue number for the large hiscox but will post if I can locate it.