Why become a member? ×

HELP!! Noisy New Pickups...

RnRDave

Hello all...

I need some serious help...

Basically ive done a big upgrade to my Squier VM Jazz this week and installed a new bridge (Gotoh 201) Pickups (SD SJB1n and STK2b) and new wiring kit (ki_ogons solderless control plate)...

Being the man I am I decided to have a go at fitting the pickups myself, all went fine with the neck pickup due to only 2 wires, had a bit of trouble with the STK but got there in the end...

Everything works fine BUT...

There is a hell of alot of noise and when I hit my ODB3 there is a high pitched squeal from the amp :(

I took it to my local guitar shop but the engineer is away until tues and I have a gig on sat in Liverpool...

Can anybody help me PLEASE!! Is it a grounding issue? The wire from the bridge is connected up with the STKs black wire as says the schematic. I'm baffled.

Cheers,

Dave

Must be a groubd-shielding issues , there are good people in here that will be able to assist you on that buddy , I m not good enough with electronics , I usually go @ a guitar tech or luthier for thet works on my basses , it s safer for me.lol . Good luck with your repair & have a nice day out there RnRDave

Single coils make noise to start. Add a better and more powerful set and you are bound to get more hum. Last I looked the Squier was not really shielded well. So you probably have to add shielding. Also, check some of the grounds again. Sometimes it may look solid but you might have a cold solder joint.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1331084939' post='1567523']
Single coils make noise to start. Add a better and more powerful set and you are bound to get more hum. Last I looked the Squier was not really shielded well. So you probably have to add shielding. Also, check some of the grounds again. Sometimes it may look solid but you might have a cold solder joint.
[/quote]

+1