Why become a member? ×

Recommend me an amp to go with my Ashdown Mag 210T Deep Cabinet?

BH12neil

I have just managed to pick up a ridiculously cheap Ashdown Mag 210T Deep cabinet which I have decided to use for home practice. Its rated 250W/8 Ohms with 2 x 10" drivers and so the question is what amp head would you guys and girls recommend to run it.

New or second hand the budget is about £250, I have one rack space left in my main rig so it would be useful if I could utilise that but not essential. Another point is that I have a spare speakon cable that I can use with this cabinet so an amp that is able to take this connection would be useful, but again not essential. The one thing that is important is that the amp in question should be compatible for headphone use so that I can practice whenever I fancy rather than when is reasonable taking into account my long suffering neighbours.

Of course I realise that I'm not going to be able to compare what's recommended with the quality of my Gallien Krueger main rig but nevertheless I don't want to sacrifice all quality just because its a practice rig. Sound quality within the constraints of my cab remains important to me.

As I'm still relatively new to this game any recommendations or thoughts steering me in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Regards,

BH12neil

Thanks for your post, just looked up the details of that amp and it runs at 140 watts at 8 Ohm, would that be ok if the cab runs at a continuous 250 watts. Never quite understood the relationship between amp watts and cab watts?

BH12neil

Edited by BH12neil

It'd be fine. The cab should comfortably take up to 250 watts, the amp will put a maximum of 140 out.
Think of the cab like having a container with some liquid in it & there's enough room for a further 250ml, now our amp is an object that would take up 140ml of that space when put into it, it's not going to overflow whether you put it in to take up 20ml (turned to a low volume) or all the way in (turned right up).
BUT....

Don't get caught up on watts. If it starts to sound bad, turn it down. There's many other factors besides watts.
You could safely put your 1001 into your MAG cab, just listen to how it's sounding & if it farts, back off on the bass or turn it down.

The MB amps are loud. In comparison with other brands of the same claimed wattage, my GK MB500 is considerably louder - although this may just be it reaches higher volume on the turning of the Master Volume Control quicker, but, speak as I find, they are very powerful.