Why become a member? ×

So THIS is where bassworld went!

danlea

Hi guys (and gals?)...

I've read posts encouraging people to introduce themselves, so here's my "Hello (bass)world!"

I'm 25, have been living in London since I came here for uni, but am originally from North Wales. I've been playing bass in a band called Lights ( www.lights.mu / www.myspace.com/lightsmu ) for over a year and half now. You can download four high quality tracks that I've been a part of from lights.4shared.com and there are three more tracks on the way. I play (finger style) a Fender Japanese Precision with a Seymour Duncan SPB-2 (Hot) pickup and heavy Orange strings (those strings take a real battering from me) and this goes straight into a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX 1x15 combo (early 90's) with a TE 2x10 extension cab. I also have a DHA VT2 Dual Bass pedal cranked to the limit for occasional overdrive (I use this in a forthcoming track in some sections and for bass feedback at the end - it's monstrous).

The main thing that defines my bass playing is the fact that most of our music fits around the piano part, and my setup allows me to complement the sound of the piano (Kawai MP5 + effects + synths, extremely weighty live - no bass roll-off). I'm no showboater, and I don't write my parts to stand out, but that's not to say I've not put a lot of thought into them. The best way for people to get to know me, my sound and my style is simply to listen to the tracks ( lights.4shared.com ).

Just Say Goodbye is a fairly typical driving indie track - the bass has a wonderful clear precision tone in this one. Welcome To The Real World is a dark jazzy take on indie music and features two pops (as opposed to slaps) and a little bass run in the second verse (go me!). Losing the Proof is a dancy track with a punctuates bass line written around a great drum beat. And lastly, The Fear is simply a great anti-ballad, and without anything of interest in the bass part, I'll note that I play a short violin part in this one!

As a band we've played a few gigs at the Borderline and elsewhere, and supported Puressence (anyone remember them?) at the Islington Carling Academy, but we're just little guys - unsigned and hard working!

Finally, I guess I should say I'm a physicist (now of the medical variety), so I have a reasonable knowledge of electronics and general technical stuff. If anyone wants to know anything about the recordings, or anything else for that matter (within reason), I'd be happy to respond to PMs.