Why become a member? ×

Anyone got any hardware cleaning tips?

Truckstop

I've decided to give my Blazer a much needed clean. It's old and it's gone a bit grubby, could do with cleaning up the tuners, the bridge and the frets.
The body's going to get a makeover too at some point but as it's my only bass, I can't really have it out of action for any period of time.
Anyone got any tips on getting these bits nice and clean? The bridge is a solid chunk of brass and the tuners are chrome. Im guessing the frets are stainless steel. I have no problems with taking everything apart too, so I can leave all the bits in solution if need be!

Thanks in advance!

Alex

As far as the bridge, machine heads etc goes, you can either pop it in the [s]partswasher[/s] dishwasher when indoors isnt looking! :ph34r: Or leave it soaking for a few days in cheap cola out of the pound shop! Bear in mind that this will obviously not only remove dirt, but also any [i]necessary[/i] lubrication, so a spray of light/wd40 on the moving surfaces will keep them running smooth, a final wipe off wont hurt either!

As a general cleaner for anything other than the fretboard I would recommend "stardrops". You can buy it most places from the pound shop up to Sainsburys. Dont be put off it is a brand name, been going for donkeys years. You mix a few drops up with warm water.

Oh, and this is just my opinion. I dont think cleaning things should cost a lot of money. If you walk into a music shop there will always be some fancy "snake oil" that costs a fortune but will do the same job!

That covers cleaning, polishing is another subject! ;)

Yeah I had heard about the cola trick! Think I'll give it a blast!
I'm planning on stripping he body of it's old finish (clear lacquer) and then building up coats of wax. But that takes weeks so I can't do that until I get my new bass (hopefully next week! So excited!)
As for polish, I've always used Tonetechs non-abrasive polish. Always worked for me!

Cheers mate!

Alex

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1329874708' post='1549080']
I've decided to give my Blazer a much needed clean. It's old and it's gone a bit grubby, could do with cleaning up the tuners, the bridge and the frets.
The body's going to get a makeover too at some point but as it's my only bass, I can't really have it out of action for any period of time.
Anyone got any tips on getting these bits nice and clean? The bridge is a solid chunk of brass and the tuners are chrome. Im guessing the frets are stainless steel. I have no problems with taking everything apart too, so I can leave all the bits in solution if need be!

Thanks in advance!

Alex
[/quote]

Dismantle, dismantle, dismantle. I clean frets with Brasso - mask off the fingerboard first! The other stuff I'd soak in (cheap) diet coke for a while as already mentioned. Remember to rinse off the cola thoroughly and dry the parts thoroughly before you lubricate/reassemble.

Instead of cola I use baking soda with white vinegar added to it. Leave it to soak for 2 days or so. Works like a charm, especially so if you scrub the bridge etc that's been in the solution with an old toothbrush. I've found that cola doesn't always nab bits where there may be dead skin, small amounts of rust, etc (i.e. crud) build-up, whereas the baking soda-white vinegar treatment does, especially if things are scrubbed afterwards.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1329904454' post='1549252']
Yeah I had heard about the cola trick! Think I'll give it a blast!
I'm planning on stripping he body of it's old finish (clear lacquer) and then building up coats of wax. But that takes weeks so I can't do that until I get my new bass (hopefully next week! So excited!)
As for polish, I've always used Tonetechs non-abrasive polish. Always worked for me!

Cheers mate!

Alex
[/quote]

Be very careful before deciding to refinish. Dont underestimate the amount of work/time, especially if its your only bass. :blink: ;)