Why become a member? ×

Filling holes in a Tele

guildbass

I recently bought a through neck Telecaster made by Mania...No, I've not heard of them either!

Anyway, the neck/body is great and that's why I got it...The various bits of hardware are ...Adequate at best, but this is an upgrade project.

Anyway, the previous owner screwed a very nasty plastic scratch plate on where there should have been none.

So I have three screw holes in the top. Each is about the size of a match stick and I thought about cutting a matchstick up and shoving it in the hole then sanding it off flush...I doubt I'll be able to get a match for the dark stain of the guitar's body but it'll be better than a hole...Unless anyone has a better idea

Cocktail sticks. Harder wood so they'll keep their shape when you cut them.

Don't push them in, cut them off and [i]then[/i] sand them flat - you'll just bugger up the finish around the holes. I know - I've done it. :(

Just push one into the hole as far it will go. Mark it with a pencil, pull it out and cut just inside the mark. Then you'll be flush-ish. Tiny bit of wood glue on the stick and shove it back in.

Colour Matching:

If you're picky, you can gently sand and colour stain the ends before you glue them in.

If you're lazy like me, cut them microscopically too short, shove 'em in and dab a tiny, tiny bit of matching wax crayon or boot polish into the little depression.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1329615156' post='1544974']
Cocktail sticks. Harder wood so they'll keep their shape when you cut them.

Don't push them in, cut them off and [i]then[/i] sand them flat - you'll just bugger up the finish around the holes. I know - I've done it. :(

Just push one into the hole as far it will go. Mark it with a pencil, pull it out and cut just inside the mark. Then you'll be flush-ish. Tiny bit of wood glue on the stick and shove it back in.

Colour Matching:

If you're picky, you can gently sand and colour stain the ends before you glue them in.

If you're lazy like me, cut them microscopically too short, shove 'em in and dab a tiny, tiny bit of matching wax crayon or boot polish into the little depression.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]Now THAT'S why this forum's so brilliant...Cocktail sticks...Yep, and of course some of those come in darker woods too...thanks so much!