Why become a member? ×

Advice needed on wiring a cylinder jack

hooveoperator

top tip - top == tip. It doesn't matter which way round the two earth connections are as long as they are between ring and sleeve. So the blue wire that goes to the socket should go to what looks like the shortest terminal on the socket. The other two can go on the remaining terminals in either order.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1328809373' post='1533060']
... It doesn't matter which way round the two earth connections are as long as they are between ring and sleeve. ...
[/quote]
NO! NO! NO!

The battery ground is wired to the jack socket like this to ensure the battery is disconnected when your cable is unplugged, and for this to work, you need the two ground connections round the right way. (Otherwise the earth wires on your bass will complete the circuit, and your battery will be drained before you've finished reading this post).

So you need to connect the battery black wire to the barrel tag on the jack socket.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1328885791' post='1534370']
NO! NO! NO!

The battery ground is wired to the jack socket like this to ensure the battery is disconnected when your cable is unplugged, and for this to work, you need the two ground connections round the right way. (Otherwise the earth wires on your bass will complete the circuit, and your battery will be drained before you've finished reading this post).

So you need to connect the battery black wire to the barrel tag on the jack socket.
[/quote]

Even if the only two wires in question are the ground from the preamp and the -ve to the battery? I'm happy to be wrong (in fact that might clear up something that's been puzzling me for a while) but the two (ring/sleeve) terminals are not connected when there's no plug inserted and a gap's a gap, isn't it?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1328890939' post='1534472']
Even if the only two wires in question are the ground from the preamp and the -ve to the battery? I'm happy to be wrong (in fact that might clear up something that's been puzzling me for a while) but the two (ring/sleeve) terminals are not connected when there's no plug inserted and a gap's a gap, isn't it?
[/quote]
Yes, technically, you're right: if those were the only two ground wires connected to the plug then it wouldn't matter which way round they went.

But .... in my experience the case of the socket is usually in contact with the cavity shielding (either by touching, or by some other ground wire). And this is, by far, the most common cause of "the battery on my active bass drains really fast" syndrome.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1328891380' post='1534480']
Yes, technically, you're right: if those were the only two ground wires connected to the plug then it wouldn't matter which way round they went.

But .... in my experience the case of the socket is usually in contact with the cavity shielding (either by touching, or by some other ground wire). And this is, by far, the most common cause of "the battery on my active bass drains really fast" syndrome.
[/quote]

Cool - sounds like a "best practice" thing that a bodger like me tends to forget/never know in the first place ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1328891646' post='1534486']
Cool - sounds like a "best practice" thing that a bodger like me tends to forget/never know in the first place ;)
[/quote]
You and dozens of "professional guitar techs", going by the stories I've read! :D

Mart is correct above, just thought I'd add - the 'Case Earth' Ground/Body of the Jack Socket should be a continuous wire to the Pre amp & should in effect be internally connected to terminals 2,6,10 - 11 shown, to provide ground continuity to all other parts.
The battery negative Black wire must go to the 'Jack Barrel Earth' Tag as Mart say's so that it is isolated from everything else when the Jack Plug is withdrawn.

Cheerz, John