Why become a member? ×

Good cab for low watt tube/valve head

P-punk

I've posted this on talkbass as well, but as I live in Europe I thought it would be wise to post it here also.

First of all - I'm a total noob when it comes to amps. I've never owned any decent amps myself, just small practice amps. In the rehearsal room my band rents there's an SVT and a 610. When we play gigs I almost always play the venues rig - 90% of the time it is an SVT with an 810 or 610.

I've been wanting a small(ish) tube head for a while. As my basses spend most of the time in the living room it can't be to big. Been looking on used B15 and other small amps, but never found one at the right price.

Recently I got an offer I couldn't refuse on an Ashdown Little Bastard, so the head is on its way to me now.

However I need a new cab to match the LB, and I was hoping for some tips.

In general I like a more old school sound, and that's why I bought a tube head. My basses are a Precision with Pyramid flats, a Jazz with Pyramid nickels (and sometimes LaBella flats) and a Lakland Bob Glaub with Sunbeams. I NEVER slap, and I like to play '60s and '70s rock.

The amp will primarily be used as a practice amp, but I wanna be able to gig with it occasionally as well, so I need an effective cab as the head is only 30W. Don't think I need a tweeter. Budget under €1000.

Anyone?

Ampeg 210HE Classic?
There's a dude on here selling one right now (along with a matching 1x15) for £250. Plenty of vintage tones, loads of low ends, but can be nice and articulate too.
Im not getting rid of mine ever! If I need more speakers for bigger shows, I'll be hunting down another one!

Cheers

Alex