Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 7215 300w amp - which speakers?

shaun l

Hello, I've a Trace Elliot 300w combo amp that comes with a 10'' 200w speaker. On the back of the amp I have two 4 ohm outputs, one for this cab and one for another. I'd like to put another cab in with two six inch speakers, I figure if I get two 2 ohm 100w speakers and connect them in series this should do the job. Will this work? Can anyone recommend to me which speakers to get, I have no idea. It's just the speakers I'm after, got a cab.

Cheers, Shaun

Hi shaun, id check the specs of your amp carefully if i were you, i suspect its the total impedance of your amp that is 4 ohms and can drive 2 8ohm or 1 4ohm cabinet. I think your combo speaker is probably 8 ohms, if this is so (and your amp does have a total 4 ohm rating) then you should make sure your new cab is 8 ohms. Before you add another cab you should be sure of the impedance of your amp and combos speaker.

Have you any pics of the back panel handy? Seeing this would lead to a quick definate answer.
I'm presuming its 300 watts @ 4 ohms and the internal load is 8 ohms so basically you can connect another 8 ohm cab. Personally I wouldn't drop below a cab rated 150-200 watts but anything lower will be ok as long as you dont drive it too hard.

Weeeelllllll, no. It gives two 100watt speakers. My understanding is (and this is in no way a qualified response) that each cab will recieve an equal load from the head.
So, if the head is rated 300 watts @4ohms you will get the following results:

[attachment=99582:Head.pdf]

If that pdf doesnt explain it give me a shout.

Edit: Sorry put that together on the fly and didnt pay much attention to formatting, shocking layout.

Edited by Mog