Why become a member? ×

Record shops closing? Who cares? new documentary

redstriper

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1328463140' post='1527455']
PS: I hope you see some humour in this cynical outlook. I try not to be a [i]boring old fart [/i]as Johnny Rotten would have snered at me, but its like railing against the tide, as one grows older. :)
[/quote]

Haha, of course I do. It's hard enough for me to stop myself being cynical about school-agers and I'm only 7 years ahead of the game :lol:

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1328430289' post='1526685']
A number of these youngsters are also musicians. I still do not see the rabid interest. It's odd, really. One would think that having collected all the Pokemon cards when they were younger, they would want to get into a music genre and collect everything there is and know everything there is to know.

A lot of my mates were really into music and never became musicians. I don't understand that either, to be honest. I heard music, liked it, wanted to play it myself. I liked playing and wanted to make instruments. It seems like a logical progression. I'll probably start growing trees soon.

I don't think anyone is bemoaning the accessibility of music nowadays; I think the sadness is due to the lack of passion and the lack of the thrill of the chase, both for older and younger people.
[/quote]

Perhaps. I was just surprised at your experience - like I say, when I was at school my mates and I ate up anything we could find. Still do. Of course, I've got nothing to compare that to - maybe you chaps are right and I'm missing out on something awesome :unsure:

BigRed's on the money here. It's definitely a two edged thing. Yes I used to support the independent shops as much as I could, enjoyed a rummage through the giveaways and second hands but you could see they couldn't last once the internet got going properly. Must have seen at least 4 or 5 non-chain outlets in Nottm go under in the near 30 yrs I've lived here. However I've been able to get hold of some stuff online either physically posted to me or as a download that I'd never have seen in even the more obscure indepepndents. I do use Fopp from time to time but it's mostly only good for filling in a few blanks of some ageing band's back catalog on the cheap, not much of a selection of new artists unless it charts. It's still worth supporting on the whole though I wonder why HMV keep propping it up, can't be a big profit margin when a big chunk of the stock is £3 or £5 per CD.

Edited by KevB