Why become a member? ×

pick-ups again

lockpicker1969

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Hi[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]I am looking to bug my first db maybe a stenor i don’t know yet. Could anyone tell me what Shaller pick-ups are like? I was thinking of getting some .what are these like compared to the bass max ect that i have been reading about [/font][/color][/size]

Do you mean a Schaller magnetic pickup? If so, these are nothing like a Bass Max. Completely different design and approach.

Here's a good list of what's out there: http://www.kontrabass-atelier.de/pickups_e.html

And these are worth reading too:

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/11-PREAMPS_DO_YOU_NEED_A_PREAMP_WITH_YOUR_URB_PICKUP.html

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/30-OHMS_AND_IMPEDANCE_FROM_THE_INPUT_PERSPECTIVE.html

You only need a mag pickup like Schaller if you'll be using steel strings and mean to play very loud. They do sound more like a bass guitar than a db though. imo if you need to go that route, I'd go the Kent Armstrong mag pickup instead. Quality and not much dearer.

To be honest, going straight for a mag without knowing you definitely need it (and you probably don't), you'd miss out on the real db sound.

just imo, of course. :)

Lots of love for BassMax round here, and if you've got the cash and a luthier to fit it, the Full Circle is superb.

Edited by fatback

I just put a Kent Armstrong mag p/u on my Kolstein bass tonight. Its got a great woody and deep sound to it, which means it will work well in my noisy up-to-14-piece band, and of course it will not feed back. Sonically though its not as nice as piezo p/u (like a BassMax, Underwood, Shadow or Planet Wing) through a good clean amp as the piezo picks up all those lovely buzzes and growls that are the hallmark of a 'real' DB sound. The piezo of course will feed back like a mutha if you go loud and aren't very careful with amp/preamp settings and cab placement. Horses for courses but I am glad I now have the choice of both p/u's on my Kolstein as it means I can now gig it in all circumstances.

I've seen psychobilly players use a mag pup along with a piezo transducer under the board to pick up the click and get a very good, very loud sound out of that setup. But they're going for a very particular sound and they need a lot of volume - I don't think a mag would be a good choice for general-purpose DB amplification.

I'd rather see what I could do with a decent piezo and a decent preamp first.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1328137355' post='1522656']

I'd rather see what I could do with a decent piezo and a decent preamp first.
[/quote]

+1 to that, although I confess to having both on the same bass on the belt and braces principle. Never had to use the mag though.

Its my first db and i was leaving it up to the shop were i am buying it to sort it out. I told him i wanted to play rockabilly on it and was not to fussed about bowing. It had steel strings but he is changing them and also lowering the action as well as the pick up.the db comes with a bow . i am having second thoughts now as i have been listening to some nice bowing online and would like to have a try. Would i still be able to bow with the setup i have asked for?