Why become a member? ×

Theoretical Possibilities of an 806HE Ampeg

Prime_BASS

After a near 3 year wait I got a 806HE(I think its HE) true blue massive(for me) ampeg.

Now it's not got the best low end extension for it's size (the drivers arent paritculaly packed in there, and im sure more efficient designs could pack in 10" speakers!) This is fine for rehearsing/practicing at our centre, I just boost the low mid a little.

Some where down the line I'll want to gig with it (although the compact can handle everything I'm doing right now) just for the sake and I'd all so like to just improve it aswell, everything should be made to the best it can be and I know that it this had a further extended low end it'd be one killer cab.

Anyway.
It's essentially 2x 4x6.5" drivers with the top section having a tweeter in the middle. It's also sealed.
What I would like to do is something that I can do on my own, won't cost a great deal and is reversable if needs be.

I thought about upgrading drivers but I know nothing of the thiele/Small parameters and gubbins, so if I did this I wouldn't know if it would be a disastor or not, but I can install them fine on my tod. I could also do what alex has done with the 69er cab, and effectrively have one side as subs and the the other as regular/mid range drivers.

Another thing I could do is add some ports. this is fairly easy as I understand and will extend the low end put also decrease it's volume on the low side aswell (???????????? clueless I am)

Just using my ear I would say it's got a fairly steep roll off after 150hz as the low end rumble is barely there at all.
I'm not after miracles I would just like it to be a bit lower(and possibly llouder in the lows too ) and lighter (neo?)

Is it worth trying a bass graphic or parametric eq, to add in those specific frequencies first? Would be a lot less costly, and would keep the cab in stock condition, in case you ever want to move it on.

Edited by Lozz196

Would be nice butyou can tell it's low end doesn't go anywhere near 60hz. Which boosting purely 70hz on my bass and cutting everything else it'll produce low end itks just not too deep or big.

I thought I could take out the tweeter and port that?

I don't use the tweeter anyway.