Why become a member? ×

Pickup lead wires have broken off....!

Bobby K

Oh dear....

Whilst dismantling a bass and taking out the pickups, i've managed to snap off the red and black lead wires from the underside of one of the pickups :blink: It was no wonder, as the wires are extremely brittle.

The pickup is a J type (2nd pup in a P/J configuration)

I know these can be carefully (extremely carefully, I know) reattached to the solder blobs in the eyelets, but the trouble is, I don't know which lead goes in which eyelet :blink:

I read somewhere that the pos lead goes in the eyelet containing the end of the pickup winding and the neg lead attaches to the eyelet where the winding begins, but I can't tell the difference with this pickup.

Is there some way of deciphering which is which with a meter? Does it actually matter which goes to which?

Aghhh...! :(

(Help) :mellow:

No way of testing which end is which just using a DVM as far as I've ever come across.

There is something I have noticed though. :)

Lay the pickup down so that the top surface is facing you.
Turn it round so that the solder end is on the RH side.

The white (+) wire always seems to appear at the top and the black wire below it (have a Google image search for JB pickups and you'll see exactly what I mean - the two lead ones always seem to follow that convention. :)

Yeah, I did that very image search myself before posting here and generally found this to be the case.

This is a yamaha though, but I don't suppose it matters. If I had to guess, I'd solder the wires back in as you describe.

We'll see what happens...

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1327907203' post='1518453']
Yeah, I did that very image search myself before posting here and generally found this to be the case.

This is a yamaha though, but I don't suppose it matters. If I had to guess, I'd solder the wires back in as you describe.

We'll see what happens...
[/quote]

Well it's a pretty safe bet.
Yamaha won't be making their own pickups, they'll just be buying them in from a parts manufacturer.

From a logistics perspective it doesn't make sense for any manufacturer producing a 'basic' item to deviate too far from what their customers are used to or else confusion is pretty much inevitable. :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1327921864' post='1518665']
Ok got one of those. What would I do then...?[/quote]If you connect a battery to the pickup, it will form a magnetic coil. Depending on the direction of the voltage applied you should get different directions of magnetic field. I think that comparing it with the other pickup (using a compass or any other magnetic device) you should be able to verify whether both pickups are wound in the same direction, or not. Let me know if it worked.

Mark