Why become a member? ×

Jaydee action - help!!

JJ Bass

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1327949729' post='1519344']
Yes.
That would certainly explain the 'mechanics' of how the middle of the neck is pulling forward.
John might know which trussrod he'd have fitted to that particular bass from the serial number.
[/quote]

Update!

Just put on the GHS 30-90's and a huge difference??? Not sure why. They do feel heavy for 30-90 (that makes sence to me) and I've made sure I've strung them so the string is at the top of the tuning peg thing (brain gone, excuse me!) I even managed to slightly lower the action and remove one of the temporary 'shims'. D is still a bit buzzy, but its playable now!

It still has no nut on the truss rod, but maybe as I've kept it in a hotter room its helped?

Will try and get a YT vid up in the next few days to show the beast off a bit!

I'll still take it to my local luthier as I think the action could go lower :)

[quote name='jonannlou' timestamp='1327959714' post='1519635']I'll still take it to my local luthier as I think the action could go lower :)[/quote]

I would still call John and get his input before you go to your luthier. It may help your guy better diagnose and correct the problem.

[quote name='GeeCee' timestamp='1327962406' post='1519719']
I would still call John and get his input before you go to your luthier. It may help your guy better diagnose and correct the problem.
[/quote]

+1,
or at least ask your guy if he's seen many JayDees. I wasn't aware of the shorter truss-rod issue, maybe your guy isn't either but luthiers being what they are would be loathe to admit it.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1327962647' post='1519729']
+1,
or at least ask your guy if he's seen many JayDees. I wasn't aware of the shorter truss-rod issue, maybe your guy isn't either but luthiers being what they are would be loathe to admit it.
[/quote]

I do know my local luthier had heard of Jaydee but thats it, I'll call John before I go to see him as I want it to play as it should, but its definatley much improved with the other strings.... Odd one innit!!

I've been wanting a Jaydee for 20 years, so it has be 'just right' ;)

If you want the best from that bass I'd get it sorted by the person who knows it best - send it to John and let him put it right!! All this second guessing isn't getting it fixed so let the man weave his magic on it - it'll be money well spent!!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1328135092' post='1522616']
If you want the best from that bass I'd get it sorted by the person who knows it best - send it to John and let him put it right!! All this second guessing isn't getting it fixed so let the man weave his magic on it - it'll be money well spent!!
[/quote]

Funnily enough the bass seems to be righting itself, I'm slowly day by day lowering the action and even though the action was too high on my jam vid (blisters to proove) the bass is sounding just great :)

I'll get it to John when I can...

Edited by jonannlou