Why become a member? ×

first eub help bow/books

Cybergimp109

im going to buy a ns design nxt 5 string eub, looking to get a bow but dont really know what to look for, so if anyone could tell me whats a fine beginner bow on thomann.

ive been reading up on french v german i think id be better off with a german one but correct me if im wrong, some said it was easier and more natural to people if they hadnt played violin cello etc before. i am one of those, im ordering the bass from thomann so preferrably one from there but if theres a better place feel free to link me. also any good book recommendations would be appreciated(more on technique than theory preferably), i hope to atleast get a few lessons but this would help get me started anyway.
any help appreciated anyway.
cheers

i think i will get a pre-amp at some point aswell as i hear this is pretty necessary to get a good sound. i have a gallien krueger 1001rbII and 1x15 rbh i know this isnt really good for an acoustic sound but i think with a preamp it should get something decent.
what would be a good addition to help get a few decent sounds bowed and plucked?

Edited by Cybergimp109

Don't know about books but I'd certainly get a few lessons from an experienced double bass tutor - a decent arco technique and bow grip is unlikely to be something you'll invent without help. Lessons will also help ensure that you don't end up with a left hand/wrist injury (keep that left elbow up!).

As far as a bow is concerned, I just got one of these:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/alfred_stingl_by_hoefner_as_34_bf_carbon_bassbogen_34.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...assbogen_34.htm[/url]

It's French I know but there's also a German version (my original tutor pushed me towards French, saying that a decent relaxed grip comes more naturally, he may of course have been talking nonsense, but a French grip certainly looks less awkward to me). I use it with both my NS CR4 and my "proper" DB and I'm really pleased with it. Vast improvement on my old fibre-glass thing.

Phil

PS. I suspect you might find arco on a 5 string NS bass significantly more difficult than on a 4.

Edited by philw

thanks for the info, yeh about the 5 string i just know ill want it down the line so ill just put in the effort now instead of later, btw im not trying to get into any orchestra or anything im just hoping to learn a new instrument as i love the sound.

any other thoughts on german v french? ill probably go with that one if not anyway cheers

I play German pattern, but only because my teacher did.
There are many advantages of both. If you get a chance to play and compare bows with an experienced teacher that would be best. I think the most important thing is playing the same type as your teacher (if you have one). Remember more people use French than German in this country.

However you don't plan to study arco and it's just for fun, scales and practice just get started on either. It will really help you develop your intonation even if your bow technique isn't great.

+1 to choosing whatever your preferred teacher uses.

I abandoned the bow early on as being too much at once, but took it up again lately. If you're going to use French, do yourself a huge favour and get hold of the DVD 'Art of the Bow' by Francois Rabbath. An absolute revelation (and a joy to watch). Like everything he does, it's marvelously thought through, and you couldn't have a sounder foundation.

I'm a Rabbath fanboy, I know. :D

But people on here who know have described Rabath's bowing as 'like an angel', and even I can see what they mean.

That DVD alone would make me choose French over German, but it would probably be of enormopus benefit even fro German, because it explains so much about why any bowing sound is the way it is.

Edited by fatback

have been watching these and they seem good or atleast easy to get what hes teaching. obviously i dont know but just incase someone else is looking for similar things.

[b] [size=4]Andrew Anderson Teaches the Double Bass - Part 1[/size][/b]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ4ctFAe7r0&noredirect=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ4ctFAe7r0&noredirect=1[/url]

mostly arco lessons.
just getting onto the art of the bow now.

also i just remembered i have a roland cube 100 combo 12" i think. has anyones used one for upright? i checked the input impedance and its upto 1megaohm or however you say it think this is the minimum for the NXT preferably 3 i think. any experience anyone?
cheers

Edited by Cybergimp109

I'm pretty sure I got my copy of 'Art Of The Bow' from Bassbooks.com. Here's the link: http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=789&bc=no

Yes it's pricey, but when you consider it's no more than the cost of two lessons it become instantly affordable and well worth while.

As for which bow - to me it's a trial and error thing in that I've practiced for years with a French bow but right hand problems have my considering switching to a German bow. I had one for a while but it a cheap and very light carbon jobbie, so not a good introduction.

And +1 to getting lessons. Even if you get only one or two to show you a proper bow hold and positioning, it'll be money well spent. Plus, and I'm regrettably speaking from experience here, you'll spend a lot more to correct things in years to come if you just plough on like the bull headed eejit I was (and still am).

• 3 months later...