Why become a member? ×

Pickup Recommendation

Pete Academy

A customer of mine has a Mex Fender Jazz fitted with an East Retro preamp. He played someone's 1970s Jazz and was blown away by the sound. He's thinking of replacing the pickups on his Jazz to get a similar sound and has narrowed choices to Bare Knuckle PE series or Seymour Duncan Antiquity.

Anyone used these pickups before?

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1327500040' post='1512365']
A customer of mine has a Mex Fender Jazz fitted with an East Retro preamp. He played someone's 1970s Jazz and was blown away by the sound. He's thinking of replacing the pickups on his Jazz to get a similar sound and has narrowed choices to Bare Knuckle PE series or Seymour Duncan Antiquity.
[/quote]

Afraid I haven't tried these, but my first port of call would be the Fender 75 Reissue pickups. They are available as a replacement part and are quite cheap, but more importantly they are a very good pickup with that aggressive top-end bite characteristic of 70s jazzes. It is different from the 60s repros that have a more mellow sound.