Why become a member? ×

YAMAHA TRB 6P PRE AMP CHANGE

EUROSTEVE

The way the bass plays is great and the versatility from the Piezo is amazing but I feel it lacks that bottom end thump (Like my Spector with EMG's, obviousley different kettles of fish) i have my Sans amp bass driver which helps on this quest but i think a possible onboard pre amp lift could be an idea...

Can't you EQ that thump on the bass? Maybe work more with the neck pu? The cristal bright tone is the main characteristic of the TRB's they're not meant for that tradicional thump sound, they were designed to be hi-fi.

Perhaps it would be better if you consider a change of bass rather than go spending a good amount of money on new electronics just to find that the bass's wood and construction still gives you a bright tone! There's a lot of difference from a Spector to a TRB, if you like the Spector's sound maybe you would be more comfortable with another Spector or a Warwick.

I don't think it would really make much of a difference but that's my opinion because i don't realy get on with the aguilar pre... too many mids... here's my settings for a defined but thick slapping sound:

Volume: full
Balance: about 6/10 turned to the neck pickup... if it isn't clear: neck - - - - I - - - - - bridge
Low: 6/10
Mid: 4/10
High: 5/10 (flat)
Piezo: 1 to 2ish/10 - depends on the condition of the strings, i use d'addario prosteels so mine are very bright, you'll probably have to roll back the balance more to the bridge side if needed!

Try this with flat EQ on your amp and mess a bit with these settings to see if you can find a usefull sound for you. Avoid going for extreme settings on the EQ, on the Yamaha's pres the slightest move makes a big change!

Cheers

If you're looking for a big, crisp slap tone on the TRB you could try a Seymour Duncan preamp. The only thing you have to watch out for in these cases is corrupting the integrity of the midrange sound. SD can be quite 'brash' sounding to me in some basses, whereas say, Bartolini or Glockenklang might sound a little more culutred and balanced. Ultimately though, I think you could be barking up the wrong tree. TRB's, and especially the high end ones, are some of the best sounding 'production' basses you can get. If you want better you'd probably be looking at spending some serious cash with a custom builder.

This thread has got me wondering how good a TRB would sound with an ACG/East preamp though!

I hope this does not confuse things too much......................... both of my trb`s are early versions,which had only 2 band eq.................. so!.............on my TRB6P I managed to get both GB(bernie goodfellow )p/ups and his earlier series 3 band eq.........I should ad this was done a long time ago(10 years approx) and bernie would not do this now for very sound commercial reasons........................BUT... I love it..........

Then,on my TRB5P,original p/ups but have 3 band Aguilar pre amp installed (by Bernie!)...... a real improvement.........

The TRB`s (especially the early one`s) had a very high build quality and really compare against boutique basses............. it was the 2 band eq which I felt needed a mid control was the only reason I felt tampering with such a terrific instrument.

However,if and when I have enough money,I would get a GB bass,custom 6 string.... I have recently got a GB spitfire 5 and am totally blown away by it............ fantastic eq!!!