Why become a member? ×

My rig at home

musophilr

Amplifier: Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50 SV, believed to have been built in 1975
Speaker: Marshall 4 x 15" - with top 2 speakers replaced on new baffle with Celestion BG80s (10")
The cab was given to me by the manager of a youth club who said it had been left there and was cluttering the place up. 1 speaker was missing, another was trashed, hence the 2 replacements. The cab is good for Rhodes Stage Piano as well as bass.

One is a Harley-Benton GA5, an excellent-sounding retro-flavoured combo with one ECC83 and one EL84. I use it a lot.
The other is a Vox AC4TV. It loves my 57 replica Strat and will do everything from sparkly clean to full on filth, but as the Strat is my least favourite guitar I don't use it much. People who come for guitar lessons usually plug into it and most of them get on fine with it. It also has one ECC83 and one EL84.

I'm a sucker for anything that claims to run an EL84 in Class A. :)

[quote name='TraceElliotBass' timestamp='1327394487' post='1510351']
4x15? How does that sound, bet it weighs a ton?
[/quote]

1. Awesome. The 15" drivers do the bottom end, the 10" drivers define the sound with midrange.
2. More than a Marshall 4x12 - and IIRC still less than a Hiwatt 4x12 !

[quote name='pikeman' timestamp='1327396875' post='1510391']
I've got a MK2 Selmer treble and bass, great sounding amp and puts out a lot of volume for "only" 50 watts.
Good to see someone else using one. Have you tried gigging with it?
[/quote]

Have used it with a 1x15 in low volume applications (ie with acoustic instruments). Will be using it (again with 1x15) for an audition on Thursday. The big Marshall cab is upstairs in the musical playroom. If it turns out that I need to take it out with me frequently I'll swop them over.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1327420611' post='1510930']
i used to have a selmer treble n bass 50. Incredibly loud but broke up too low for any usefulness for me, not nearly enough clean headroom, amazing for guitar though!
Sold it on ebay for £170 wish i had kept it now for our guitarist :(
[/quote]

TBH I never liked the way it distorted a guitar. The guitar channel is very good (with the pictured cab.) for a Rhodes piano though :)

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1327406396' post='1510579']

1. Awesome. The 15" drivers do the bottom end, the 10" drivers define the sound with midrange.
2. More than a Marshall 4x12 - and IIRC still less than a Hiwatt 4x12 !
[/quote]

Quality, it does look good