Why become a member? ×

Hello from the dark and uninviting swamps of Ely,,,

BassBollocks

In early 1977 I saw my first live band at the Cambridge Corn Exchange, a relatively unknown act from Australia called AC/DC. I don't remember much about the gig other than the atmosphere (everybody dressed like me in flared jeans and leather jackets) and the sound of the bass guitar (must have been Mark Evans at that time): a thump in the chest and a rumble through the floor. "I want to make that sound", I decided, and so I bought a bass guitar - an anonymous short scale thing from Cambridge Rock for £40 that I eventually managed to learn 'Roxanne' on (which was in the charts at the time). To cut a long story short, I accidentally became a guitarist, and have played Les Pauls, Strat's and Tele's for over 30 years. Last year I decided that I couldn't play the bloody things and bought a bass - a Squier VM Jazz for £150 off eBay, and haven't looked back. Talk about a waste of 30 years! In six weeks I reached a higher standard on the bass than I could achieve on the guitar in all that time. I was lucky enough to get hold of a Marshall 3530 amp head and a 1540 4x10 cab for £250, and I'm now in a position to tackle my mid-life crisis with some serious attitude! Well,that's enough about me for now... cheers, then!

Greaser (BassBollocks)

Edited by BassBollocks

Thanks guys, and yes Len... the Squier is a great instrument for the money. I recently visited a music shop in Peterborough that had one in stock and which I was able to play 'back to back' against their other models. I tried various other Squiers before making my way up through Mexican-made Fenders and onto the 'Made in USA' stuff costing a grand or more. I may be new to the bass but I know a good neck when I play one, and the Squier's was as good as any of them - a solid and quite chunky feel that I find very comfortable. So much so, in fact, that I've shelved my plans to save for a 'proper' Fender and I'm going to upgrade the VM instead with a Badass or Gotoh 201 bridge, some CTS pots and a Switchcraft jack socket. A pair of Wizard pickups and some better tuners may follow at a later date. I have a Japanese-made Telecaster which I've upgraded in a similar fashion and it's the best guitar I've ever played! I'll keep you posted on any developments.

Cheers...

Greaser