Why become a member? ×

Recording a fretless

steviedee

Hi folks

I need some tips on the best software amp for a fretless, I'm using logic I have guitar rig and amplitube, (the ampeg VSX demo won't work which is infuriating).

When I play through my amp the bass sounds great, even taking into account my liberal view of tuning but when I go through the audio interface it's sounds flat and not very fretlessy. The fretted basses sound fine.

I am something of a luddite when it come to EQ and all that jazz so does anyone have any suggestions, I have a small person and can only do this in the evening so I can only DI.

It's a small section of a very long tune so I'm not looking for the ultimate tone but just something that doesn't sound sh*te.

Edited by steviedee

If fretted basses sound fine it's likely just a matter of eq. Start by inserting a parametric eq and sweep it until you find that mid range growl on your fretless then just give it a gentle boost with a wide Q. Of course you could be wild and radical and mic the thing up and capturing the sound you hear rather than trying to make a plastic model of the same thing. ;-)