Why become a member? ×

Identification and some idea of repair costs?

simwells

Just picked up this bass, and as I know basically nothing about them thought I would ask on here if anyone could tell me any more about it other than being made in Czechoslovakia (as it was at the time!) and fairly old.

Also as you can see the neck/fingerboard seems to be currently set at an odd angle and so I presume will need resetting, any suggestions on a rough cost of getting this done?

looks like the entire neck is coming away from the body to me, so might need to be taken apart and re glued... I hate to scare you but the last time my bass was opened (back table off) to repair a shrink crack, which was luckily an insurance job, it cost £550 (that was in the 90's) I don't think a neck re set would cost you that but it's a lot of hours to take it apart re glue the neck put it back together...

Edited by jakenewmanbass

I would take it to Kai Dase http://kaidaseviolins.com/

He's a great luthier and the nearest Double bass expert to you. You won't get an accurate estimate by pictures alone.

I agree with Jake that it will be expensive. It needs a lot of work, but the price will depend on how you go about the repairs (do you remove the top etc) I think it will cost a fair amount. Bear in mind that apart from the repair work you will need it set up, new strings, possible new bridge, nut, soundpost etc....

It looks plywood to me. Could be a nice bass. Good luck getting it sorted.

It's just an "hours at the bench" job... Cost depends on how easily the neck comes out, (which tends to depend on the glue used by the well meaning DIYer) If you were incredibly lucky, it could be out/back in in an hour. (+overnight drying... you're only looking at £50) That's best case scenario though - realistically, expect another couple of hours work!

To repair the button properly, the back needs to come off - Personally, I wouldn't worry about that on one of these... As long as the joint fits properly, it'll be fine.

Once the neck's set, you may either need the bridge re-cut, raised and re-cut, or replaced.

Is that crack in the chin of the scroll still open too, or is it repaired?

[quote name='fonzoooroo' timestamp='1326959355' post='1504170']
It's just an "hours at the bench" job... Cost depends on how easily the neck comes out, (which tends to depend on the glue used by the well meaning DIYer) If you were incredibly lucky, it could be out/back in in an hour. (+overnight drying... you're only looking at £50) That's best case scenario though - realistically, expect another couple of hours work!

To repair the button properly, the back needs to come off - Personally, I wouldn't worry about that on one of these... As long as the joint fits properly, it'll be fine.

Once the neck's set, you may either need the bridge re-cut, raised and re-cut, or replaced.

Is that crack in the chin of the scroll still open too, or is it repaired?
[/quote]

Thanks, looks like I'll have to take it and see what they estimate then, the scroll crack I thought had been repaired but on closer inspection sadly I think not but there is virtually no movement in it currently at least, still another thing to repair though!

Any suggestions on value of this once repaired? So I know if it's even worth undertaking when I get a quote.

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1326963273' post='1504221']
Thanks, looks like I'll have to take it and see what they estimate then, the scroll crack I thought had been repaired but on closer inspection sadly I think not but there is virtually no movement in it currently at least, still another thing to repair though!

Any suggestions on value of this once repaired? So I know if it's even worth undertaking when I get a quote.
[/quote]
I couldn't say from the pics but I would imagine any decent luthier should be able to give you an idea of the value. If you got it cheap or free and it cost a few hundred to repair/set up then you have done ok in my view assuming it sounds ok. I have played a couple of chzech basses and some of them sound great.

I was bidding on this myself,assuming its the same bass? (it came from Market Harborough?)

I did some research and it looked to be a juzek Chzech built laminate bass,not sure if that info is of any use i just thought i would pass it on....no hard feelings for beating me in the auction :lol:

[quote name='chrisd24' timestamp='1326977676' post='1504565']
I was bidding on this myself,assuming its the same bass? (it came from Market Harborough?)

I did some research and it looked to be a juzek Chzech built laminate bass,not sure if that info is of any use i just thought i would pass it on....no hard feelings for beating me in the auction :lol:
[/quote]

me too,i recieve fotos on request.