Why become a member? ×

Wiring help. Sterling Bass !

Prime_BASS

I've gutted and condemned the electronics from my Sterling.

I have brought a SMB-4A 3-coil and going to buy a East MMSR Pre-amp 3 band + Volume. I want to keep the Series/Single/Parallel option via the 3 way toggle.
So I have to wire in a 3 way switch before the pre-amp.

I've looked at the intrustions for the East and it makes little sense as the pickup has 5 wire(same as on a regular stingray p'up) Red, Black, White, Green and bare.
I've also looked at Seymour Duncans site for wiring a 3 way switch aswell, but this only requires a single black wire to go towards the pre-amp.(I assume the risistor is to help keep the volume between each three modes level)

The original electronics are also a little mind boggling as there are so many wire going to and from the switch to the board, with different colours aswell.

All I need and want is a simple guidline or diagram to show what wire go where on a three-way switch and how to connect it to the East preamp.

Thanks.

Sorry to say it's not a simple rewire. The MM pick-up and pre-amp were designed as an integral assembly.

The MM pre-amp has a differential input stage to allow it to sum the signal and cancel any noise. It also has a switched resistor ladder to equalise the gain for each configuration, not easy to replicate.

I did what you are attempting to do about 8 years ago. Firstly you have to rewire the pickup to have six wires so that each coil can be accessed independently. This was how I did the switching with a 4-pole 3-way switch.

Best of luck.

I understand it a little more now thanks, will be putting this into practice when some bits arrive.

I want the authentic stingray sound from the sterling, so if it proves to difficult. How do I get the preamp to except the pickup in parallel, or is the 3-coil wired this way anyway with the otehr modes as options via a switch?

Edited by Prime_BASS