Why become a member? ×

Another "Which fender?" Topic

Mikeg

Ive been saving up for a new bass to offer up different tonal variety to my ibanez, Im now pretty sure that I want a jazz bass. I dont realy like the MIM jazz range, I Realy want a maple fretboard, prefferably with blocks. I've looked at the Marcus miller jazz, and the Geddy lee. Both verry nice, but Pehaps too expensive. Theres also the VM squier jazz, very nice looks, but I m sceptical on thje build quality. Oh and I want an active jazz, so I would put a preamp in whichever one I buy

Any Idea's? :lol:

Yup, another CIJ Fender Jazz. You can buy a Japanese '75 Re Issue Jazz and pop in a preamp of some description. I always try and buy second hand and have had 2 CIJ jazzes, a USA Jazz and a bitsa. The CIJ ones IMHO were manufactured to a higher standard than the USA one and I've seen new MIM ones with neck pocked gaps in that are unacceptable! If I could I'd always go for CIJ or MIJ ones, great bang for your buck B)

Another fan of Japanese Fenders here. I've got a CIJ Precision and Jazz.
I have tried all three (MIA, MIM and CIJ) and as far as I'm concerned the Japanese have the most consistency in QC.

Also, regarding the Squier VM Jazz. I've got one of those. A great bass for the money.

Haven't seen one in the flesh yet but how about the Modern Player Fender Jag? Block maple neck, same PU arrangement as the Jazz and advertised for less than £340.
Is there space for a pre-amp? I dunno.

For me its going to be a toss up between one of those, the Squier VM Jazz or the Fender Modern Player Tele in Butterscotch.

I don't particularly like the preamp in the Marcus Miller bass, it sounds better with it bypassed and I'm actually going to remove it from mine when I get round to it. Otherwise it's a great bass.

I play my Fenders through an old Sadowsky outboard preamp, sounds warm and fat but with plenty of clarity if you want it. You can get onboard ones too if you prefer. Pretty much any Fender will sound great through one of these, and probably your old Ibanez too!

Forgot to mention I've tried several Squier jazz basses recently and was very impressed with the sound and build quality, much better than they used to be. With any Fender or Squier I'd suggest you play it before buying as they've always been a bit variable, even if it means paying a little more from a shop.