Why become a member? ×

Hohner B2A preamp location

recort2

Hi - I recently bought an old headless B2A which unlike my B2ADB has two separate compartments at the back, one for a double battery compartment, and a second one to access the pots and jack as well as an XLR output. Tone is great but there wasn't any action when flicking the "active" switch.
when I opened everything up and removed the pickups, I didn't find any signs of a preamp (on the other bass it sits in a larger combined compartment with the battery..) - I wonder if anyone has ever worked out where the circuit is hiding ? - does it maybe sit in the battery compartment? or am I missing something here?
any help appreciated

Edited by recort2

[quote name='recort2' timestamp='1326019342' post='1490979']
Hi - I recently bought an old headless B2A which unlike my B2ADB has two separate compartments at the back, one for a double battery compartment, and a second one to access the pots and jack as well as an XLR output. Tone is great but there wasn't any action when flicking the "active" switch.
when I opened everything up and removed the pickups, I didn't find any signs of a preamp (on the other bass it sits in a larger combined compartment with the battery..) - I wonder if anyone has ever worked out where the circuit is hiding ? - does it maybe sit in the battery compartment? or am I missing something here?
any help appreciated
[/quote]

From memory, yes, it sits in the battery compartment. Its pretty small, and is actually not much bigger than the 9 volt battery that drives it.

The pre-amp is a small metal box the same size as a 9v battery and located in the battery compartment. There is a hole in the top of it for level adjustment (if I remember correctly). If the level is set the same as passive mode, you might not hear a lot of difference. The bass I had had volume, volume and tone controls and the pre-amp just made it a bit louder - I can't remember it making much difference apart from having a higher output, but still sounded good.

Cheers

Jez

Well, brilliant info, big thanks to everyone - I had seen a picture elsewhere with the grey box besides the battery but as my compartment is empty, would anybody have a spare one or point me in the direction of a shop (Hohner.eu only sell the one that fits the newer bass...)?

Edited by recort2