Why become a member? ×

IGNORE THIS ITS IN THE WRONG SECTION DOH

Skezza

I recently bought a mint EBS neoline 2 x 10 at a bargain price.

The reason being the previous owner had taken out the EBS speakers to fit in another cab and fitted a pair of oldish Fanes 10 inch 'bass speakers' which are so heavy it makes the total weight of the cab close to 30kg

I have intended to remove the Fanes and then replace them with a pair of new Celestion neo 10 300 watters making a standalone 4ohm 600 watt cab

but when i started playing through these speakers with an old sound city valve amp they sounded pretty good

I am tempted to leave them in for a while but I do not know their power handling. Neither did the previous owner.

The speakers have thick cast metal frames big flat magnets with a sticker saying Fane Loudspeakers made in Batley Yorkshire
Rectangular spring loaded wire clamps with impedance stuck on them on a little yellow sticker (16ohm)

there are two codes on the frame 104143 that is on both speakers and then 834/89 and 843/89 on the two
one cone has the number 100 in white

across the cone is the word ACOUSTECH

any help would be usefull as would any advice

skez

Edited by Skezza

This? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150730939285&ih=005&category=58719&clk_rvr_id=305195837018

Hope you paid a lot less than that for it!

/89 may be year of manufacture and 834 / 843 serial numbers? My guess is that these were supplied by Fane and rebranded Acoustech (think they're now BIC Acoustech, could be wrong about that).

If it works OK and doesn't fart at the volume levels you need, it doesn't matter what the theoretical power handling rating is. If it sounds OK it probably is OK, and if it blows up these drivers aren't particularly valuable so you aren't risking very much.

Before you spend money on Celestions (which are getting very expensive these days) I'd suggest you drop an email to EBS and ask them who the UK agent is and whether they can supply a couple of replacement drivers.

The cab will be worth a lot more money and work better with the right drivers in it, and if the cost is about the same as the Celestions it'll definitely be the way to go.

If they can't supply drivers, find out what the thiele-small parameters for the units are and try to find something that matches.

Not sure why this is in For Sale, perhaps the mods could move it to Amps and Cabinets?