Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn (too nice to sell!): Fender '51 Re-issue Precision - with improved pup & bridge

tredders

Having got well & truly stung by the custom build bug, I'm trying to raise a few quid for Shuker number 2! I've just today sold my Lakland Bob Glaub, and this is the other one I'd like to sell.

It's a 2003 Fender 51 Re-Issue Precision, made in Japan. I got it from OldHorseMurphy on here, just 5 months ago, and then spent a fair old chunk of money getting it to where I wanted it: -

1. Managed to source an original 1971 Fender Telecaster pickup, overwound by the BassDoc.
2. Had a fret level & polish, and pickup installed
3. Had a new black pickguard made
4. Had a professional setup done
5. Had a new set of Chrome flats fitted.
6. Had a Wilkinson 2 saddle vintage repro saddle fitted.
7. Had the cavity copper shielded
8. Added genuine Fender bridge & pickup covers

I swapped the pickup out, as the original one was quite weak. If you google, it's quite a common mod that owners of these basses make. I also swapped out the original Fender 2 saddle bridge, with a Wilkinson vintage bridge. The Fender 2 saddle bridges made the bass almost impossible to get in tune all the way up the neck, and the Wilkinson one retains the vintage look, whilst providing the required intonation. I'll include both the original Fender pickup and bridge in with the sale.

All the above work was done by Peter Allen ([url="http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk/acatalog/Professional_Set-up.html"]http://www.guitartec...nal_Set-up.html[/url]). I always get my basses setup by Peter, and I'm sure that anyone who has bought one off me will testify to the quality of his work. I wanted the bass to sound and feel as good as a vintage bass, but have all the advantages of a modern one (i.e. a decent bridge instead of the appalling standard one!).

It has 3 dinks on it, all of which were there when I bought it. There are 2 on the lower edge (by the jack socket), and one 'impression' (not through the paint) near the knobs, which you can only see if you hold it up to the light. I've taken pics of these.

[attachment=96453:51 P bass 1.jpg]
[attachment=96454:51 P bass 2.jpg]
[attachment=96455:51 P bass 3.jpg]
[attachment=96456:51 P bass 4.jpg]
[attachment=96457:51 P bass 5.jpg]
[attachment=96458:51 P bass 6.jpg]
[attachment=96459:51 P bass 7.jpg]
[attachment=96460:51 P bass 8.jpg]

This sounds absolutely immense! If you've ever heard an early 70's Telecaster bass, you'll know how it sounds. Very fat, but surprisingly articulate too - it's not all just muddy bass. It's setup beautifully, with no buzzes or rattles anywhere on the fretboard (not that I ever go above the 7th fret!). It also looks the business, too.

It came with a Fender soft case (I use the work 'case' advisedly - I think a bin liner would offer more protection), but I have a very old and very tatty case that this can be packed in if it needs to be posted.

All in all, this owes me close to £850.

Oh, and I know the bridge cover is back to front, before anyone tells me <_<

Any questions, let me know.

Mark.

Edited by tredders

• 3 weeks later...