Why become a member? ×

Keeping it up

Dom in Dorset

I've just finished a job in a pit band for a panto, one of the most challenging things I've ever done! Unfamiliar set with many songs outside my comfort zone, eight gigs in quick succession playing to tight cues etc.
There were some show tunes and songs from Disney films that , due to their complexity required sight reading, I made a lot of progress in a short time (having never sight read before) and now I want to build on it and get more fluent.
Without another job like this on the immediate horizon , any ideas as to how I can work on my sight reading? (and keep it interestig)

....just checking you have seen the 'Bass Camp' stuff in the Theory & Technique section - there's lots of fun stuff there. If you keep digging around in that section (or just ask) there have been quite a few transcriptions posted (IIRC, Bilbo has quite a bit of jazzy stuff).

I'm jealous of your gig. Years ago, I used to regularly play drums (before I knew better) in a pit band and loved it. I could (maybe can) sight-read percussion but have never got anywhere near that with the bass. On my todo list!

There are now thousands of transcriptions out there that you can use to keep you reading skills together. Get a bass clef Charlie Parker omnibook, the Bach Cello Suites, stuff like that that keeps you playing outside of your comfort zone. It is really hard to keep improving when you have no regular reading gig but you will find, as the years go by, that whenever you return to to reading, the skills come back quite quickly in real time. Also, work on transcriptions of your own (and post them here ;)), write out some of your own ideas etc. Just keep working with the written note in mind.