Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodgers Autobiography - a fantastic read and very interesting re his relationship with Bernard Edwards

The Admiral

I was given this for Christmas and I've finished it already. A great read, well written by a clearly very intelligent guy, who refelects on his past and doesn't sugar coat it.

Some great stuff about the late Bernard Edwards, whom he clearly still misses, and who he himself found dead in Edward's hotel suite, after the Budokan show in 1996. A terrible thing to have to find your oldest friend in such a way.

The book is available for £8 on Amazon (hardback) I notice, which has to be an absolute bargain, and just to whet your appetite - here is some YouTube footage of Bernard Edwards last ever show (he died that night from complications relating to viral pneumonia). He had been advised by a doctor to go immediately to hospital, but insisted on playing the show - albeit from a chair in the second half of the show, as he could barely stand. This is 'Good TImes', which I believe finished the first half of the show, and there is a nice bass solo section at 3.09. The solo is a great example of what can be done without playing a hundred notes a second on a 6 string bass.

A great talent and so many players have borrowed so much from his ground breaking style.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMqRxDZpWIg[/media]

Rodgers/Edwards really created a whole sound, very few people do that, they were very smart. It's also nice that in the video above Nile Rodgers acknowledges the Sugarhill Gang track that re-used their tune. It's in the tradition of pop music to do that (reggae particularly, but '50s and '60s rock and roll too) and it's good to see the originators referencing their offspring. :)

Had this for xmas as well dam good read , can't beat the Chic Corporation Ltd !!!

Shame that Chic had to sue the SugarHill Gangs record company , to get there dues , even after the SugarHill Gangs heavies came into the studio threatening Chic.

Diana Ross and Motown shame on you .

Madonna , nothing we hadn't really worked out for our selves .

And bugger me if John Taylor was bequeathed Bernards Stingray after his death.

Music for Xbox Halo

Nile is one extremely talented guy , and we are very lucky to have him.