Why become a member? ×

Turning Custom 70's TB into 51'/70's Medley

Immo

I am wondering about turning my Fender/Squier 70's Telecaster Bass into my own 'fake signature' bass. Since it is already Squier Vintage (Much More) Modified TB, the modding can go further. Thanks to 99ster, my bridge cover is on it's way to Poland, but...

Oh, well, let's head to the beginning:
If only this 'Sting' block wouldn't be there, the word 'Telecaster' was placed instead 'Precision' on the headstock, the body was fully slab and the neck adjusting screw from the truss rod was 'bullet' style, it would make a really close 70's TB replica, but it's extremely cool anyway and, with that said, why not make it even cooler?

Originally I thought about buying regular SVM70'sTB and putting a single coil 50's pickup in the correct position would made a nice custom bass: Telecaster Bass II and Telecaster Bass II in one package. Some time later, I've even discovered that someone already did that and I saved the pics:
[center][/center]
Now the original pics disappeared from the web and I cannot find the original topic on forum (whatever forum was it, anyway) to ask the builder about this medley.
I guess the single coil has sufficient amount of mids and highs, so there's no need for placing it closer to the bridge. It's a P-bass, after all.

Anyway, with time I forgot about the matter, but then a buddy of mine got this bass for a price of a new SVM and he hardly played it. Since he's shown me the pics, I made him swear I'll be the next owner whenever he'll be selling that bass. And it finally happened. My newest newest bass came to me and I thought - [i]hey, that old idea of mine was a really cool idea![/i]

The plan is:
Some kind of good single - either original Fender, SCPB-1/2 or Lindy Fralin - would make this machine two basses in one, now am I right? I'd only put the single pickup a bit closer to the neck, had figured out a better (classic) placement spot for the thumbrest, used a Telecaster style 3-way switch (if together they'll sound lame, maybe I can use Push/Pull pot instead of the switch to select the pickup?) and replaced the whole wiring plus maybe even change the pickguard shape a bit and put the chromed 50's control plate over the plastic pickguard to complete the look of my hybrid monster to fulfill this "two Telecaster basses in one" style. And as the cherry on top, I'd be replace the Sting's signature 12th fret marker with my own ([i]ICS[/i] for [i]Immo Custom Shop[/i]). I want it to be something different that CS Lotto bass or Modern Player Telecaster Bass.

I made a black & white design drawing for entire idea (push/pull pot instead of switch that kinda goes in the way and looks bad) and it looks like this:

[center][/center]

And now I wonder - is it really that good idea? As for the looks - I totally dig it. I guess if I'd be a famous bass player, that's how my signature would look like, anyway.

But soundwise? Would this bass suffer a sudden decrease of playability because of body's few square centimeters of wood less? What about the sound of both PU's working at once? And would the PUs magnets impair the sustain? Or am I only paranoid...?

What do you think? I ask about the functionality, not the looks, which - as I said - I dig a lot.

Edited by Immo

A bump, perhaps?
Please, express an opinion on my idea; generally it's not too painful... :D

ED: Okay, maybe I'll ask the other way: Is it possible to wire the pickups with TWO push/pull pots in the way that one will be volume for both, second one will be tone for both, and the volume one will be serving as on/off switch for mudbucker and the tone one as on/off switch for single?

Edited by Immo

• 3 weeks later...

I'm talking to myself here, but at least I got one answer on TDPRI.com:

'[i]I put a single coil SD pickup on my 78 Tele bass, pretty much like your pic. I love it! Best mod you can make to a mudbucker bass.[/i]'

Anyway, bump, waiting for your feedback. Yes, yours! :)

Edited by Immo

This damn tiny piece of chromed metal is expensive as hell anyway, so I think I'll pass and stay with the 'default' scratchplate. In that case it'll look like this:
[center][/center]

But I was thinking about some alternative for the chrome plate, like an outline of this plate made with chrome sticker, engraved (down to the 2nd, white layer - that would be also a nice way to get rid of the holes made for thumbrest by previous owner obove the E string: with engraved racing stripes :D) or something like that... I just wanted to have the looks of both 50's and 70's Tele balanced in one instrument.

Edited by Immo

• 2 years later...