Why become a member? ×

CMI Rickenbacker 4001 thru neck in turquoise for sale, Bucks.

Richeyrockshack

Update......

My lovely CMi has now sold, many thanks to all of you who contacted me expressing your interest.

Thanks also to Basschat for being there in the first place, why isn't there a similar forum space for guitarists in the UK?!?

Being as I evidently rubbed a few people up the wrong way with my original advert I just thought I'd ask what best to do in order to advertise another bass I have for sale, as again I have no idea what price to ask for it........and really don't want to have to explain myself again in future.

In my original advert I didn't state a price, I was then informed by moderators that I would need to include one so i stated to 'start the haggling at £xxx'...but what should i really do in this scenario if I have no real idea of the guitars value?

I understand that auctions are not permitted (although this isn't stated in the terms of selling...) and am happy not to attempt to run anything of the sort, but what is the most acceptable way to seek offers otherwise?

I can't help but feel a little alienated purely for attempting to ensure I was getting a fair price, the proposed value of which I had stated, perhaps there are a few people out there who would have liked me to offer my items at a giveaway price and make money out of my ignorance......?

Obviously I want to achieve as much cash from the sale as possible, if cash flow wasn't an issue then I wouldn't be selling!

Any advice will be gladly received!

Thanks for listening,
Richey

Price wise I'd have a search on here for what others have been advertised at and also look at eBay (but then a lot of people take off 10% that you'd otherwise be giving to eBay just as this is a community that generally believes in looking after it's members) if that still shows no result then other then I'd just start high and gauge interest, then lower it and see when people pitch in there or just decide how much you'd be happy with for it.

Surely the only real problem here was revealing publicly that £350 had been offered.
[quote name='Richeyrockshack' timestamp='1325014852' post='1479164']
Update......

My lovely CMi has now sold, many thanks to all of you who contacted me expressing your interest.

Thanks also to Basschat for being there in the first place, why isn't there a similar forum space for guitarists in the UK?!?

Being as I evidently rubbed a few people up the wrong way with my original advert I just thought I'd ask what best to do in order to advertise another bass I have for sale, as again I have no idea what price to ask for it........and really don't want to have to explain myself again in future.

In my original advert I didn't state a price, I was then informed by moderators that I would need to include one so i stated to 'start the haggling at £xxx'...but what should i really do in this scenario if I have no real idea of the guitars value?

I understand that auctions are not permitted (although this isn't stated in the terms of selling...) and am happy not to attempt to run anything of the sort, but what is the most acceptable way to seek offers otherwise?

I can't help but feel a little alienated purely for attempting to ensure I was getting a fair price, the proposed value of which I had stated, perhaps there are a few people out there who would have liked me to offer my items at a giveaway price and make money out of my ignorance......?

Obviously I want to achieve as much cash from the sale as possible, if cash flow wasn't an issue then I wouldn't be selling!

Any advice will be gladly received!

Thanks for listening,
Richey
[/quote]

The only real problem here was revealing publicly that you'd been offered £350.

The better, or at least less contentious way would be to deal with the offers you had by PM, make whatever agreements you want to in private, and maybe post on the forum that the bass is still available and you're still looking for £400. Lots of sellers also indicate they are prepared to consider offers, and this seems to cause no problem.

Stick a price you want for it, go a bit higher if you are thinking of bringing it down and then sit there till you get a bit or you bring the price down a bit.
Generally you will get a sale and if you don't the price is too high for the market at the moment for the people around- so for instance if you though your bass was worth £500 and other people didn't you may have to wait till either someone turned up who did want to pay that much, listen to lower offers (and a lot of us have some stories about the offers you will get "would you swap your 1961 jazz bass for my black dean metal bass and a packet of crisps it really is the best bass ever and I can offer both cheese and onion and prawn cocktail"
You just have to decide what you want to take. Generally don't make public what offers you get (though I held out for cheese and onion AND salt and vinegar) and then you decide.
If your sale price is £x and 3 people say they will give you that amount then you have to sort out a fair way to do it, normally first come first in line. complications come when you get "ill take it, in 2 months when I get paid" or "as soon as my hideously-overpriced-fender-which-i-have-been-touting-at-daft-prices-for-months-sell" decide how you want to act fairly and act that way, some people state this straight up in the ad, and sometimes it depends on the person. for folk i've not seen on the forum I have my price and the postage on top. They pay that they get whatever it is. For folk who I've seen round a while I'll often round the postage down or split it. at all time good coms is nice
Oh and the price doesn't imply that you will pay the postage unless you say so. So you can work that out after.

[quote name='Richeyrockshack' timestamp='1325075088' post='1479538']
Thanks everyone!

Luke, I've got some Doritos and a box of half eaten thorntons chocolates left over from Christmas.......fancy a deal? ;)
[/quote]
depends which ones are left, if it's all coffee and orange flavours....

Coffee, orange AND mint choc chip, a fair trade for your JV surely..... ;)

So, next basses up for grabs are my Hondo precision in sunburst and my Ibanez Roadstar in black with red trim and a very 80s Rickenbacker feel........sound interesting to anyone? No idea on prices again, but I'll get them listed asap.

Richey