Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

remagnetize a humbucker

subdude

i had a paint job done on a yamaha RBX375. after receiving the parts back i noticed that one of the 2 stock pickups is magnetically quite a bit weaker than the other. i have not noticed such a difference before i sent them for sparying but i can not say for sure that both PU's were the same in that respect.

is it a problem if one pickup has a weaker field than the other and if so, can the pickup be magnetised and how would this be done?

thanks

I had a stock Shergold Marathon pick-up remagnetised by Andy at Wizard Pickups two or three years ago. Did the job and didn't charge the earth. Very reasonable in fact and turned it round quickly.

[url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/contact.asp"]Contact link here[/url] - worth getting in contact if it ends up needing to be remagnetised.

hi,

thanks both of you for your input.

the bridge pickup is the weaker one. i was wondering if it is possible to de-magnetise a pickup by dropping it or otherwise handle it wrong? i kept them always apart but i have no clue what the guys at the spray shop did while they had the parts for painting.

thanks for the link to the wizards, since i live in kenya, there is unfortunately no quick, cheap or easy way to get the pickup to the UK and back, hence my research into the topic.

[quote name='subdude' timestamp='1324283052' post='1472433']
hi,
.....since i live in kenya....
[/quote]

Yes, bit of hit on the postage there :unsure: .... but it is possible to get pickups remagnetised, and I was more than happy with the way mine turned out. It is possible to reduce the magnetic field by physically jarring a magnet, but I would think it would take a lot of abuse to do this. Heating is another way to reduce their power.

[quote name='subdude' timestamp='1324290983' post='1472505']
certainly, i had marked them both "neck" and "bridge" before the masking tape went on.
[/quote]
Well that's good news at least.

Do they sound different now?

Perhaps you could contact the manufacturer/distributor to find out if this has happened before and if they have a solution to your problem.