Why become a member? ×

bass rack effects

paulflan0151

Hi,

I've just bought a used EA i amp 800 and am looking to get a compressor in the not to distant future. I've started to mooch around the forums and shops etc to see one that catches my eye and I've started to think about rack mounted effects. The problem (if there is one) is I want to keep my sound as transparent/ clean as possable. I used a bass pod years ago and found that it changed the sound of the bass and amp combo. I dodn't like that.
Will a rack unit change the sound drastically?
Would you advise seperate pedals or a rack unit?

Genrally I'm just after a compressor but am still undicided. Any advice? I'm not even sure what I want my self to be honest.
Thanks-Paul-

Hi Paul, well I can safely say that I've b*ggered about with far too many pieces of rack gear for my own good, but the best and cleanest sounding of them all without piles of rubbish guitar orientated effects is definitely by TC Electronics. I've owned both the G Force and the GMajor 2 and recommend them both whole heartedly. Even their pedals are pristine in tone. I prefer to use distortion pedals separately as I am very fussy about what type of drive I want, but as for time based effects, TC have always had the edge. I'm not endorsed by 'em or anything! Lol. I agree, I had a Bass Pod Pro rack. It was great, but A/B against the TC it was obvious which was the better of the two. Hope this helps!