Why become a member? ×

Rebuilding my board

throwoff

Im selling a bunch of my pedals (everything except the TU2!) to start afresh with my board, I will openly admit when I put it together I bought what 'everyone has' without really knowing why I wanted it.

I now know that what I really WANT on there is the TU2 and an MXR Blowtorch.

My band is kind of post hardcore, punk rock. Think Biffy Clyro, Reuben, Billy Talent, Glassjaw all mashed up.

Any recomendations of funky or useful pedals?

I am selling my chorus, graphic eq and fuzz pedal and dont really want a compressor.

A booster would be nice as that's basically what my graphic is used for, is there something out there specially for bass?

Any wierd and wonderful recomendations would be looked at seriously

I personally find that a good pre-amp/di is really important, and I can't recommend the MXR M-80 highly enough. It also has a switchable distortion channel which sounds great in a band mix.

I'd look at possibly getting an Octaver: the Boss OC-2/3 are good choices, as is the Aguilar Octamizer and the MXR BOD. It all depends what kind of octave sound you would like.

I would have said to keep your Chorus, it very much fits within the kind of material you will be playing, as would a compressor for that matter! In all honesty though, with a good tuner and a decent overdrive (and a pre-amp/di) you could easily play anything within your range.

Will have to check your band out, influences are right up my street!

I've always got by with a tuner and one or two dirt pedals (one set for lower gain, one pure filth when I've got a pair running).

Experimented with other things but never really found much use for them. I've got a chorus lying around but don't really see a need for the sound anywhere, and recently sold a bass Crybaby, which sounded incredible, but I used for one little break in one song, and to do Tim Commerford impressions in the practice room!

Depends on the sound of your band I guess - compression is cool but i think there's enough of that naturally occurring in my signal path from the dirty sound I go for. If you want a clean boost the EHX LOB-1 goes dead cheap second hand, or the MCR Micro Amp is a few quid more, both will do a good job.

Every time I build up a bass board, I end up stripping it right back to basics pretty soon after, I think a TU-2 and an ODB-3 can be plenty!