Why become a member? ×

Eden WT-800 issues

risingson

Hello everyone. I have a problem that I'm hoping that one or two of you may help me in addressing, or perhaps offering some possible explanation concerning my WT-800. It's a bit of a long one, but here we go.

The amp itself is playing up. It's the old version of the 800 from 2001. I run it exclusively with a 410XLT (8 ohm) bridged at every gig, no exceptions. The problem is thus; after 10-15 minutes or so of playing live with my band, the amp starts to cut out intermittently. The EQ clip light goes on, the set-gain LED goes out and there is a visible and unnatural pulsing in the speakers. The fault lasts for a few seconds at a time before the amp begins to function normally again. It will than happen as an intermittent fault for the rest of the evening, seemingly with no rhyme nor reason to when or where.

A few things to point out at this stage. You'll most likely now be thinking this to be a dry solder joint problem within the amp. I thought this too, but I actually had the dry solder joints in the amp resoldered a year or two ago and the amp has worked perfectly up until now. Furthermore, not only have I taken the amp to a very experienced technician (who can't find any fault with it), but I have even had the lid off the amp to have a quick tap of the capacitor in the preamp to to elicit some kind of reaction from the amp indicating dry soldering, but to no avail.

My amp settings are as follows (in bridge) for those familiar with Eden controls:

Gain: 1-2 o'clock
Enhance: never more than 12 o'clock
Preamp: largely flat across the top with a bit of a 50hz bass and mid boost.
Balance: 12 o'clock

This is where it gets really annoying. I cannot replicate the fault outside of a gigging situation. It would seem to be totally [u]faultless[/u] in fact, I've been playing it for an hour or more today and the problem has completely stopped! But during gigs it is definitely playing up, no question. I'm a bit lost and really at the end of my tether with it all. If any of you know of any possible cause or have experienced anything similar I would really appreciate the feedback from you. I'm a regular gigging musician and need to get my amp back on track.

Cheers guys and all the best, Liam

I hate intermittent problems! You feel like such a spoon when it doesn't do it and the engineer is looking at it!!

The amp's been checked out and may not then be the issue...

A few questions pop into my head...

Does it happen in particular venues as compared to others or is it just all the time?
Could it be related to the venue wiring maybe?
Does your power come from a particular power reel?
Have you tried using the same power reel at home?
Do you use a power conditioner?

A

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1323097972' post='1459213']
Does it happen in particular venues as compared to others or is it just all the time?
Could it be related to the venue wiring maybe?
Does your power come from a particular power reel?
Have you tried using the same power reel at home?
Do you use a power conditioner?
[/quote]

Hi Andy, thanks for your reply.

1. It's happened at a few venues now. I did immediately think of it being a power issue, but the problem has occurred at very different venues.
2. As above really. It's been more than a few venues now.
3. We don't use power reels, just long extensions, and it's happened with and without said extensions.
4. As above!
5. No, I don't use a power conditioner.

Power obviously did cross my mind as a possible cause. But the amp itself isn't fully cutting out. The front panel is still lit up (the preamp of the Eden has a series of LED's that light up the preamp panel and it's not cutting out), which suggests to me it's not a power issue.

probably a silly idea but............................ try regular speaker out(eg not bridging it) for each side ,in a solo mode and see if maybe you can narrow that element out of it.
to see if both amp channels work independantly one at a time.................
I`ve never felt comfortable bridging amps........ but that`s just me!!!!!

hope this helps

good luck

[quote name='jhk' timestamp='1323117829' post='1459572']
probably a silly idea but............................ try regular speaker out(eg not bridging it) for each side ,in a solo mode and see if maybe you can narrow that element out of it.
to see if both amp channels work independantly one at a time.................
I`ve never felt comfortable bridging amps........ but that`s just me!!!!!

hope this helps

good luck
[/quote]

Thanks JHK, but I've already tried this with no luck.

Hi, have you recently put it in a different rack case or put other rack gear on top of the amp? I'm wondering if the amp is getting sufficient air to all of the internals. From the pics I've seen it draws air in from the top of the case and out the back of the amp. Its a small size amp putting out a lot of power so needs plenty of air to all the different parts. If this is the case then your tech might not be creating the conditions in the workshop that you have on stage so its not getting too hot. At a guess I'd say there's a component in the pre amp that's overheating and giving a dc output ( ic or a cap methinks ) causing your low frequency speaker movements and eq overload led's to light up. As techie myself thats just not the kind of thing you want to try to find, however it could be worth trying to isolate it to pre or power amp by using it at a gig or rehearsal with a separate pre amp driving into the power amp in and seeing if the problem occurs. This will least give the tech guy a nod in the right direction. Might be worth trawling the net for any threads relating to the problem as it could be a common fault with that early model and you might also find the solution.
Good luck
Cheers Just

Hi
I'm having similar problems with my WT-600 (essentially the same amp but an earlier version) and thought it might be useful to share info.
I run my amp in bi-amp mode with the high out going to a 2x10 and low out going to a 1x18.

the problem only occurs when playing at gig levels (all controls around 12 o'clock) but when the amp cuts out, it is accompanied by a [b]very [/b]loud pop from the 2x10's.

First thing I did was fit a new valve

I originally thought that the problem was with the left power amp, but I lose both outputs. I recreated the fault and simultaneously recorded the DI out signal, the waveform showed a very fast power spike, the signal recovers after a few seconds. this signal is taken post EQ. so I figure the problem is likely to be in the preamp section, or the power supply (which affects everything).

I'm currently waiting for a response from Eden. - if you like, I'll keep you posted.

Rob

Me again,

I've had no response from Eden, so in desperation I took the whole amp apart and inspected all the solder joints and connectors with a magnifying glass. No obvious faults but I did move some components and wires away from the bottom of the PCB's.

reassembled and tested for two days at performance levels - no problem.
played a gig last night and it was as good as gold.
early days yet, but it could have been something as simple as a bad connection on one of the connectors.

rob

I've got the exact same issue with the exact same head, my issue was that the fan motor had cut out which caused the internals to overheat, the amp seems to have a built in safety feature where it will cut the power when the internals heat up past a certain point. Check the fan motor out man, its what got mine sorted.