Why become a member? ×

valve amp/ cab ohm query

ojplaysbass

Hey guys - quick question......

i'm looking for a new cab setup for my trace elliot v-type head (its the 300h with the valve preamp)

i'm probably going to go for a 2x 1x 12 option because i don't always do gigs that need the 2x12 rig but here's my issue:

i've been told that if you run an all valve head with a mismatching cab (eg. a 4ohm head with an 8ohm cab) it'll damage the head - just wondering if the same rule applies to heads with just the valve preamp?

this'll hugely effect my purchase so any info would be amazing

cheers
James

Good afternoon, James...

The impedance matching only applies to amps with a valve power stage and an output transformer. Solid state amps, whatever their pre-amp, are not so fussy, as long as the total impedance stays equal to or above the minimum recommended by the manufacturer. In your case, as stated above, you'll be fine.
Hope this helps...

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1322568264' post='1452674']
A solid state amp will specify a minimum load impedance. Anything above this (up to and including no load) will be fine.
[/quote]Conversely a tube amp tap impedance is the maximum load, you may go lower. And you can't run tubes with no load, but you can run them in to a dead short. In both cases what matters is the output stage, not the pre-amp.