Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG/EB0 Bass?

tazza1

This looks a bit suspect. No serial number & it looks as though it's had one of those full headstock transfers applied to it plus the pick up looks dodgy too.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SG-Gibson-bass-/280776135591"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SG-Gibson-bass-/280776135591[/url]

Difficult to say with the poor photography, but the pickup is in the right place for a post 1972 EB-0 (they moved it down a bit from the end of the neck to brighten the sound a bit), they used a black mounting ring around the pickup after they moved it down, it has the correct number of frets for the time (21), there's no dot marker for the 21st fret (correct) and the three point bridge was used from 1973 onwards. With some better pics then the bevelling in the cutaways could be checked. The headstock is odd, the logos were silkscreened on in this era rather than being inlays, but the edges do look odd.

Basically, without better photos that's the best I can do.

No, that looks legit. Butchered, but legit.
The edges of the headstock are due to serious oversanding on the refin (hence no serial number)

The logo and all components look correct too.

It's obviously been made lefty at some point, so I'd dread to see what was under the pickguards.

It probably went for about the value of the parts; i'd personally it as a bit too far gone to be worth restoring, but if someone wants a player.... (or to make it lefty again?)