Why become a member? ×

Yamaha 02R Digital Mixing Desk..

VTypeV4

8 hours ago, bartelby said:

Ooh, did you do the sound for Pop Will Eat Itself?

Sadly not, only Kirk Brandon with Theatre of Hate (Friday afternoon) and Spear or Destiny (Saturday early evening). Lovely festival with a very relaxed feel. I particularly enjoyed Jo Boxers - super tight group. 😃

• 2 months later...
02R NHc Bpool SD12

I've not spent much time on the home 02R during the last few months although I took this snap just before putting a test mix together for a friends new group. They loved it, I loved it - wins all round! 😃

02R NHc Bpool SD12

02R NHc Bpool SD12

I've used lots of Digico, Midas and A&H on shows such as this over the summer which has been lovely - this was Rebellion / RFest at Blackpool. ❤️

Glad to see you're keeping busy mate!

I've had a lovely SD12 package out for a few festival shows this summer, spotted here on the main stage at Reading (or Leeds, can't remember which of the two this was!)

IMG20220826163607.thumb.jpg.5fb39e9474e3ccae9e8aa03ab12ea797.jpg

IMG20220826165327.thumb.jpg.1c63a42eef3c783a602d80dc60bb2e2c.jpg

On a run of much smaller shows out in Europe with another artist at the mo so have downsized to an SQ5 for a few weeks, wouldn't have fancied dragging the big Digico in some of these load-ins! Was hoping to fly my own one out but the logistics didn't work out so this one's come from Clair Bros out in Switzerland. 

IMG20220904175116.thumb.jpg.556903884f48e0c7b75e8c09bcd43250.jpg

IMG20220901212247.thumb.jpg.8755bc8a95bc3d37f7b46664c0fd1d57.jpg

Likewise man, looks like you've been smashing it!

The SD12 is a great tool - you can't see it in the pic but there were two at the outdoor gig in Blackpool. I'm more than happy with a Digico and I can say, I've never had a bad show on one either. 😃 I used one at Notting Hill Carnival as a tracking console - overkill, yes but it happily got the job done.

02R NHc Bpool SD12

02R NHc Bpool SD12

I've not done a show on the smaller frame A&H SQ although I've done plenty on the bigger (SQ 6/7) versions. There was one with the dinky Dlive but I can't really fault any of them. 💯

• 1 month later...

A few snaps of some slightly lower key gigs I've been involved with recently..

Dm1k 02r in service

DM1000 on recording and live sound duty alongside the 02R at The Rigger a few weeks back..

DM1000 StJo

DM1000 at the school before sound-check..

Dm1k 02r in service

Testing the MY16-AT and MY4-DA cards at home..

My home 02R is currently being used to review a live multi-track recording from a few weeks back where I recorded a friends disco / Chic tribute band at the Fenton Ball Room - it was a lovely afternoon. The DM has frustratingly gone for repair as one of the mic pre-amps has failed with no A/D conversion although I expect to have it back within a few weeks. 😬

Edited by VTypeV4

02R in bits

02R in bits

A bit of a minor hiccup this week with a rogue 'dimmer' button - frustratingly mid live album mix. 😬  Oddly, it'd been previously modded so the actual dimmer switch was removed from the PCB so I have no idea how it was activated..? Anyways, shorting the location of where the switch should have been seems to have resolved the issue..

• 3 months later...

XD DM 02R

A slightly dusty 02R on live sound and recording duty a few weeks back. Still working hard, still as reliable as a piece of rock and still a great tool. 🥰

XD DM 02R

Even the Soundcraft saw a bit of action last week as part of a tuition demo at the studio. This is currently for sale but no takers as yet so I suspect it'll stay for the odd demonstration or nostalgia trip. 😆

XD DM 02R

The DM1000 has been back for a few weeks with all faults now remidied although I've not yet had opportunity to put it through it's paces. I've got a location / live sound / recording show at the end of next month so chances are, I'll use it for that. I expect for this type of work, the little DM will ultimately replace one of the 02R consoles as it's simply so much more physically manageable with a similar / improved feature set and a familiar operating platform. 😃 

2223 Live GP Tour

2223 Live GP Tour

2223 Live GP Tour

2223 Live GP Tour

2223 Live GP Tour

2223 Live GP Tour

And finally various snaps ofplaces throughout the UK on tour back in Nov / Dec 22. The biggest and best show being at Manchester Academy which is the top two pics. Not the easiest to mix in but it felt great once it was all cooking. 😃

• 4 weeks later...
DM 1

Finally the DM1000 does a full gig with it's full compliment of features! Used on a location at the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery (Hanley Museum), we mixed and recorded Captain Stingrays Groove Machine (Afro / Cari / Dub / World madness) with the little DM at the centre of operations. The band used 20 channels over two layers, the second bank via a Behringer ADA8200 and of course, recorded via one of my trusty MOTU 828(x) units. I love the Spitfire aircraft in the background, too. 

DM 2

• Like 2

02R23StingrayMix

02R in service at home. 😃 Recorded via the DM1K from the gig pictured above, I've used an 02R to mix a track this week. It's been a little while since the 02R was used in this capacity but it's definitely firing on all cylinders with the mix sounding killer. It's 2023 and there's still plenty of life in and so much potential to be had out of these old things. 🥰

02R23StingrayMixB

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Spear 23 crossing

Spear 23 crossing

Spear 23 crossing

Spear 23 crossing

Spear 423

Spear 423

Various snaps across the UK from 'The Crossing' tour featuring legends Spear of Destiny and Big Country. I was only in for Spear but next time we do this, I'll be on duty for both bands. Some very cool places up and down the country despite the seemingly endless weeks!

Lots of the usual Midas Pro 1/2, A&H SQ / dLive and Soundcraft Vi consoles this time. Special mention of course to that killer Heritage 3000 - I rather suspect that'll be the last one I'll use 'in the wild' - it was great fun. On the Yamaha front, no 02Rs although I used a few Yamaha M7s, a CL1 and even used my own DM1000 on one of the shows..

• Like 1

On 31/05/2023 at 23:12, VTypeV4 said:

Spear 23 crossing

Spear 23 crossing

Spear 23 crossing

Spear 23 crossing

Spear 423

Spear 423

Various snaps across the UK from 'The Crossing' tour featuring legends Spear of Destiny and Big Country. I was only in for Spear but next time we do this, I'll be on duty for both bands. Some very cool places up and down the country despite the seemingly endless weeks!

Lots of the usual Midas Pro 1/2, A&H SQ / dLive and Soundcraft Vi consoles this time. Special mention of course to that killer Heritage 3000 - I rather suspect that'll be the last one I'll use 'in the wild' - it was great fun. On the Yamaha front, no 02Rs although I used a few Yamaha M7s, a CL1 and even used my own DM1000 on one of the shows..

Looks like a good run! Every time I get behind a Midas Pro and hear how bloody great they sound, I (almost) forgive them for the bloody trackball and the patching screen 🤣

Spent today prepping an SD12 package for a couple of weeks touring with Circa Waves. Had to do some chicanery to make it work, but have squeezed my SD Rack, the FOH dLive rack, split/patch and all the IEM in to a double wide, so it'll be a nice easy build each day! We're in production rehearsals tomorrow so I'll try and snap a couple of pictures. 

Haven't had many chances for desk photos for a while, been pretty solidly in tour manager/production manager mode and doing less audio, although I did just have my SQ5 out for a few weeks round the UK with Bad Boy Chiller Crew. Even more compact package with my stage rack, splits, power distro, RF and battery chargers all tucked in to a little 12u. 

IMG20230512194448.thumb.jpg.8dd9e608f32f8477e0fa6b7d6bdc7b6f.jpg

IMG20230512193310.thumb.jpg.64855808b0828bd7cd106bb2ad746694.jpg

IMG20230512194511.thumb.jpg.b7031fc6b2a173c6383a2e88d27d9d58.jpg

And on the Yamaha front, I had the great displeasure of a very tired PM5D as a festival monitor console that I had to throw and go on the other week. Had an absolute stinker of a gig for various reasons, but that old dinosaur definitely didn't help 🤣

Sounds and looks like you've been thoroughly at it, Mike! 😃 Glad you've still got the little A&H - I love all their digital ranges and even the old iLive is still a useful tool. Thinking about it, I don't think there's any A&H I've ever used that I didn't like from MixWizard and QU through to ML and dLive..

• 1 month later...
Jazz Plates O2R

02R implemented at the studio - it's part of the 'old studio' setup using the old Windows PC and a spare MOTU interface. There were a few projects that I started at home but now I can now finish / add to using the studio facilities which is great! It's largely separate from the main Mac / DM2K / ML5K but the monitor and main L/R out is still via the GL / big ML so it could still technically work via my master rack with external EQ and a WA Bus comp if needed. Great for it to hear some music again. ❤️

• Like 1

Can't say that I've ever used one of those (or even seen one in the flesh) but it looks like a useable tool.. 😀

42 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

You are making me miss my old Ramsa DA7. I sold it when some years ago, but now wish I had it back.

DA7plusmeterbridge.thumb.jpg.b52bbc1629a43541530e057129aa5f12.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/07/2023 at 20:43, Chienmortbb said:

You are making me miss my old Ramsa DA7. I sold it when some years ago, but now wish I had it back.

DA7plusmeterbridge.thumb.jpg.b52bbc1629a43541530e057129aa5f12.jpg

Don't see those very often at all! Panasonic/Ramsa have all but vanished from the pro audio world outside of Japan. Heard the DA7 was a cracking console for its time though.

Been at the mercy of festival house consoles for the last few weekends. Lots of the larger frame dLives, which was nice. Hadn't spent a ton of time with them in monitor world, I'd mainly used them at FOH, but I'm seriously considering making the jump from Digico for my next couple of tours. 

IMG20230805185949.thumb.jpg.cba531fce63226d62a9eddcb02886852.jpg

IMG20230730210019.thumb.jpg.c24af9d31d6cc04ca90c4e6a9bfb1d52.jpg

IMG20230729005839.thumb.jpg.c705cafd497a73057c61682ad80a0c91.jpg

IMG20230804215404.thumb.jpg.4ce15b926a8dcdace80c682a3310b774.jpg

Looking good, Mike!

If had to choose, I'd probably go with A&H as I prefer the way they work and just find the whole process a bit more organic. Don't get me wrong, I do like Digico and can't say as I've ever had a bad show on one but the dLive is a fantastic tool - A&H really got it right. 

It's been a little quiter for me this year although I'm currentl in the throws of Bloodstock '23. It's only the small 'New Blood' stage with some ancient Community boxes and a pair of M32 consoles - I'm on FOH as I have been for the last few years now. Pics to follow. There's also Notting Hill Carnival coming up in a few weeks.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Lovely stuff, what were you up to with it?

I stuck with my contemplations from my last post and decided to take a dLive out on the road for a couple of tours. 

Spent most of September out around the UK with Lovejoy, took an S5000/DM48 out, with Shure PSM1000 IEM. Here's my youngest son teaching me how to drive it properly....

IMG20230923142047.thumb.jpg.74b118db552fc6afc1c281b124277f87.jpg

Currently in the middle of a UK run with The Pigeon Detectives, got a C3500 out on monitors for this one, a little bit more compact. 

IMG20231104213724.thumb.jpg.fc699de1f6e2d8f0c3e67ecdf084b0c3.jpg

I'm also mixing FOH for the touring support artist, Ellur, on the C2500 that we're carrying for Pigeons, haven't got a decent picture of that though, I'm always in too much of a rush to soundcheck my second band of the day by the time I walk to that end of the multi! Enjoying it though - all but two of the tours I've had this side of lockdown have been at monitors, it's fun to have a change of scenery and head down the other end for a bit!

Hey Mike, you've been busy! Great pictures and really pleased you're getting so well with the flagship A&H machines. Last one I used was at the former TV studio in Norwich with SOD / BC but think it was the larger one with more faders. I still can't really fault them and the more I use the SQ, the more I love that too - hats off to A&H, they've left Soundcraft in the dust. 😃

As for work, I tend to just do FOH or FOH with wedges - I'll be honest, I just don't enjoy mixing ears and wedges. Hope the bands are appreciating you. 👍

The good old 02R was used to put a classical piece together recorded at the school. Being honest, the performance wasn't quite up to it despite various timing and tuning fixes so it seems probable it won't get used although it was enjoyable to mix.

• 1 month later...

Most of these snaps are from the Spear of Destiny tour which has just finished - the final show at the Rigger I used both the 02R and the DM1000 together. The 02R took care of monitors whilst the DM was used for FOH with the consoles linked by pre-fade direct outs via ADAT duplicating the 1-16 channel set on both machines.

DM 1000 02R monitor

DM 1000 02R monitor

First go with an Avantis here in Barnsley - a lovely tool that seemed straight forward to get along with..

Good old d&b..

Rain in Edinburgh just outside Bannermans..

The fantastic Colchester Arts Centre with new Funktion One and Yamaha QL5..

One due for retirement here, the old SC48 at tthe 229 Club in London. There'll be a Digico here next time, so I'm told.

And the gig I do every year at the Victoria Hall for St Josephs with Barry's somewhat tired Midas Pro1..

It seems rather fittingly that my last gig of the year will be on the 02R - still going although there is discussion of retiring it in place of a Qu32 at some point next year.. ❤️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
02R Live 24

It's been an 02R day with the one at the studio being used for a tuition session this morning and then the pic above is the example that lives at The Rigger on live sound duties. 😀

• Like 1

Lovely stuff!

I've been back at the "wrong end" of the multi doing FOH again this month. A few in-house shifts at Manchester Academy on their Quantum225.....

PXL_20240112_191927097_MP.thumb.jpg.0fc1bb9d755ae514a89cd34aa6cc08ef.jpg

...and then back out on the road with an S5000 for a lovely chap called James Marriott and his band

PXL_20240119_215852977_MP.thumb.jpg.1e0627cbbca08de2266aca2dbbb4143a.jpg

I'm out on a little club tour in a splitter next month so I'll be giving my little SQ5 its first run out of the year on that, hasn't been out of the case for a while!

• Like 1