Why become a member? ×

Phronesis Gig 16th Nov Purcell Room

Spoombung

Saw double-bassist Jasper Høiby's much-talked about [b]Phronesis[/b] last night at the Purcell room.

Interesting to examine the bass style in detail: almost perfect intonation (practically unheard of for stand-up bass) lots of octaves in the riffing (which strikes me as unusual for a jazz bassist) and an almost total absence of walking bass (very refreshing in this genre). There were lots of unison bass with the pianist.

As a band I liked the rhythm section a lot (the drummer was incredible) but was more critical of the pianist's mushy, slightly classical arpeggio style and he had trouble leaving space in the music.

The second set was played in darkness as some sort of tribute to Høiby's sister who had recently lost her sight. It was an unmitigated, naive, conceptual disaster and totally pointless.

Overall, it was okay but I doubt whether I'll want to see them again.

PS. I just [i]love[/i] the way the shutters come down at the bar just as the audience stream out the hall looking for a last drink...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbnnWIntf3g&feature=related

Edited by Spoombung

I'm a huge Phronesis fan, and Jasper's playing is simply astounding. In fact, I'm listening to them right now :) Would love to see them live. I imagine if you're a 'fan' you'll get a lot more out of it, or maybe not. The second set done in complete darkness interestingly has been well received by critics and fans alike, but I guess not everyone like's such things. Playing in the dark would be a challenge on most instruments, but must be terrifying and incredibly challenging on an upright bass! Maybe that's the point though. The challenge of doing things we take for granted with our sight, reduced to pure listening?

[quote name='derrenleepoole' timestamp='1321533860' post='1440229']
The second set done in complete darkness interestingly has been well received by critics and fans alike, but I guess not everyone like's such things. Playing in the dark would be a challenge on most instruments, but must be terrifying and incredibly challenging on an upright bass! Maybe that's the point though. The challenge of doing things we take for granted with our sight, reduced to pure listening?
[/quote]

Well I thought they might as well have put one of their CD's on and played it over the PA really. I'm sure it wasn't intended to show off how good they are as musicians (playing in the darkness doesn't impress me even if it is clever). No, I thought they were trying their hand at a 'concept' (musicians are well known for this and [i]young[/i] musicians are particularly well known for their [i]naivete[/i] when it comes to concepts) I'm surprised the critics liked it as it was a truly terrible idea. Maybe the family connection - the tribute impressed them? Maybe the critics are getting younger? :)

The whole point of going to a gig for me is [i]seeing[/i] the interaction between the band - the glances and signals that you don't get from the CD. Instead the effect was claustrophobic, soporific and dull.

Edited by Spoombung