Why become a member? ×

Do it myself Gramma pad

daz

If anyone is building one don't use MDF or chipboard cos it's really brittle and if you're sandwich-ing it between a heavy cab and a soft foam it's only a matter of time before it breaks. Do what Flat Eric did and use ply (any 12mm will do) cos it's miles stronger and generally cheaper (avoid Homebase/Wickes/B&Q - Jewson is half the price and they have a selection).
The gramma pads really work but it's not rocket science so a home made version will work well. Try to fill the void where the triangular stuff is on a gramma pad tho cos that gap can cause problems. I believe they only used triangles as its cheaper (less foam) than a solid peice all the way across the board.

With my DIY skills (or rather lack of) I think the main advantage of making my own would be the ability to have it exactly the footprint I wanted for a piece of kit rather than the choice of just the 2 sizes that Aurelex do. Having said that having a bit of 'overhang' hasn't been a real problem so far and it makes it easier to tuck away in a corner of the car for loading up.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1321448168' post='1439215']
I made this one from Platfoam.

If the material you use to seperate the cab from the floor is too thin/hard, it will still transfer sound.
If the foam is too soft there's a chance your cab and amp will easily be knocked over!!

This works a treat and was covered in another Gramma thread.

See also here: [url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/2011/08/fender-urge-acoustipad-and-project-t-40.html"]http://flatericbassa...oject-t-40.html[/url]

Won't go anywhere without it now!

Cheers. :)
[/quote]

You haven't filled the space between the two foam "supports" so what you have created is a mini version of the effect the Gramma pad is trying to eliminate.