Why become a member? ×

Washburn AB40SH Stu Hamm Signature

PURPOLARIS

I play in an Acoustic Instruments band (amplified) and I'm thinking of buying one of these when I go to the States over Christmas. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I currently play an Ibanez EWB205 which I really like but it is a bit big bodied. This AB40 has a slim body and an intonatable bridge as well as the Buzz Feitin tuning system. Another feature is that each string volume is adjustable therefore you won't get one string booming louder than the other. Seems like a great Bass.

[url="http://www.washburn.com/images/stories/newsandreviews/news/stubass.htm"]http://www.washburn....ews/stubass.htm[/url]

I've never played one before but I've spoken to Stuart about them. He has played Washburn acoustic basses for well over a decade now and has always liked them. I think he's really made up with this one, it sounds great in the video too! It wasactually through his acoustic bass that Washburn offered him an electric singature bass.

On a side note, I also play in an acoustic band although I play electric bass as I just think it works better for me. I have a Washburn AB10 (in the for sale section) and have recorded with a fretless AB20 and both are excellent so I am sure the Stu Hamm AB40 will be top notch. What sort of music do you do in your acoustic group?

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' timestamp='1321118391' post='1435589']
We play a mixture of music from Coldplay, Waterboys, Oasis, The Jam, Bowie, Nirvana, Floyd, anything really but mainly rock and indie type songs. We go down well in pubs as we're not an "in your face" type band, the punters can still have a chat as they tap their feet to the music.
[/quote]

Great stuff, I like that approach :)

I have to say, as much as I like this bass I do find acoustic/semi-acoustic basses a bit of a useless item. As much fun as they might be for five minutes, I've always found an electric bass sounds better in the same scenarios as you'll invariably need an amp anyway, unless you're playing to an audience of doormice.