Why become a member? ×

Shielding

gary mac

My new Squier modified Jazz suffers quite a loud buzz, unless I back off the tone control, so guess it's either a pick up issue or lack of shielding.

I am thinking that the shielding would be the obvious first step.

So I would be grateful for advice as to whether to go for screening paint or foil/tape. Best brands to look for and stockists.

Thanks, all the best Gary.

The self-adhesive copper shielding tape is fairly easy to work with. Shielding paint can be messy to work with.

One thing to watch out for with any shielding is to make sure that the contacts on the pots (volume/tone controls ) don't touch the screening material when everything is put back together. Remember that the shielding is connected to earth so if the pot contacts touch this they will be connected to earth and everything will be shorted out.

If necessary stick some insulating tape over the shielding where the pot contacts are to prevent any problems.

Note - it's NOT a problem if the pot shells (casings) touch the shielding as these are earthed anyway.

[quote name='BOD2' post='163797' date='Mar 26 2008, 02:48 PM']The self-adhesive copper shielding tape is fairly easy to work with. Shielding paint can be messy to work with.[/quote]

I have to disagree. If you've done a nice routing job, you can achieve a really neat sheilding job with the conductive paint. Check out Overwaters.

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='164755' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:19 PM']I have to disagree. If you've done a nice routing job, you can achieve a really neat sheilding job with the conductive paint. Check out Overwaters.[/quote]

You're right. It can be done well. But often the DIY "kits" you get don't contain much paint and it's the first time you'll ever have done it so it's not as easy as it should be. Also you have to get a reasonably even coat of the paint to ensure proper shielding - it'll get easier with practice but you don't get the chance to practice on a one-off job.

• 3 weeks later...