Why become a member? ×

Which Double Bass for a novice?

Linus27

As per my thread about electric double bass, I am still unsure if I should go down the electric double bass or maybe go for an acoustic double bass. The issue has now come forward with the possibility that I may be going into the studio in January to record more tracks for the album, with one of the song suitaing a double bass.

If I was to go for an acoustic double bass, what would be a good one to start with for someone who has very little experience of playing double bass? I have had some lessons with Jakesbass so know some basics as well as owning an EUB for around 8 months. I will be recording with it and possibly some live work so it has to be good enough for this but obviously I don't want to spend a large amount of money on one. Also, I know nothing about the different sizes, 1/2. 3/4. full etc so again not sure what would be ideal.

So any advice appreciated. Of course I could just go for an electric upright but half of me fancies a real double bass :)

3\4 is regarded as the standard size. Your best bet if you don't want to spend a large amount of money is a well made plywood with a good set up. Conservatively estimating £1000 -1500 including the set up. Others on this forum speak highly of the cheap basses on the Thomann site. Do a search . In the short term perhaps you could hire or get a loan of an instrument for the recording considering that you only need a double bass for one track.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1320450895' post='1427202']
As per my thread about electric double bass, I am still unsure if I should go down the electric double bass or maybe go for an acoustic double bass. The issue has now come forward with the possibility that I may be going into the studio in January to record more tracks for the album, with one of the song suitaing a double bass.

If I was to go for an acoustic double bass, what would be a good one to start with for someone who has very little experience of playing double bass? I have had some lessons with Jakesbass so know some basics as well as owning an EUB for around 8 months. I will be recording with it and possibly some live work so it has to be good enough for this but obviously I don't want to spend a large amount of money on one. Also, I know nothing about the different sizes, 1/2. 3/4. full etc so again not sure what would be ideal.

So any advice appreciated. Of course I could just go for an electric upright but half of me fancies a real double bass :)
[/quote]
The biggest question is what is your budget? The other biggest question is whether you want your recordings to sound like a DB or an electric. An EUB sounds pretty much the same as a bass guitar (unless it's bowed), and asides from the playing style and tunings, they DB and EUB are different instruments.

I would say that if you only have a budget of a few hundred quid it's still worth getting a relatively cheap ply DB and spend a bit of cash on a setup and some decent strings. It'll never have the tone or volume of a carved solid top (or a high quality laminated) but IMO even a cheapo DB is better than no DB so long as you've got the budget to make it a bit more playable.

or you could rent one for a while. thwaites, healey or peter tyler could help here.

on a broader front, i have just got a copy of ''about the double bass - a players guide' by peter tyler. it's a bit elementary in places but a must for anyone contemplating getting 'into' the double bass. it's £20 from peter at www.tylerbasses.co.uk. michael, do talk to peter; he's a very helpful guy and lives at maidenhead.

btw, sorry for all the lower case but the left arm is still in plaster. x-ray scheduled for next thursday.

Thanks for the help everyone. Really useful and I know twice as much now as I did yesterday :)

As for style of music then I would say fairly Motown. The bass line is simple but effective but would really suit a a double bass tone.

Budget is quite small at this stage but only because I don't know how much I am going to use it. No point spending a grand plus if its only going to be used for one track. So with this in mind, I may go with the NS WAV/NSX to have around the house to noodle and practise on but when it comes to recording, I will hire a real double bass.

I have the evolving bassist book/DVD but I will also get ''about the double bass - a players guide' by peter tyler and spend the next few months practising and who knows, if I get into it, then I can up my budget and get something better.

Thanks for your help everyone.